Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Fee Basis Eyeglass Fiasco.

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was sent last week to an outside eye doctor. He was very nice and did the exam. he wrote me a new prescription and I was off to the VA to get it filled.

I got to the VA and the Optometry dude took the prescription, I picked out a set of frames. I sat down for him ot measure the eyes and he wrote it all up. He asked me If I wanted lined or no lined Bifocals. I said no line if no cost were involved, He said there was. I said OK then Lined is OK.

We finished up and he said that will be 49 dollars. I said why? he said since it was an outside prescription. I paid it reluctantly.

When I got home the Boss found the recipt and she asked what it was for. I said Glasses. She said it should be no cost to for me and said I will take careof it. The next day she called the Chief of the EYE clinic and there is a refund on its way.

So service connected vets, If the VA sends you to a fee basis eye doctor, dont let them try to charge you for glasses.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

HI I'm not sure this is the correct place tor me to post this but I was recently told the VA only supplied lined Bi Focals when I went to Togus VA I'm 100% ,100%, 100% does anyone know if I was hoodwinked

US ARMY 1968-72

• HadIt.com Elder

Ed:

It seems that each VA has their own policy. However, all that I have gotten from VA was lined bifocals. I started with the ones that you can't see the lines and it was a little hard to get used to it but after a while I don't notice it anymore.

John:

Sometimes you want to get mad but the best thing is to get your 49 bucks back.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• In Memoriam

In Los Angeles Glasses are free once a year for any connected Vet.

Here in Arkansas (Fayetteville), I got my prescription, the optometrist said I had to pay if, I were not 30% SC. He told me if you want your free glasses you have to go to the Little Rock Ark. VAMC. In other words, if I travel 150 miles, I get my glasses for free.

I don't drive or get out on the road, so I just didn't have glasses for the last year. Now that I am 100% SC, I will see if their policy is the same. The policy is different State to State and even different VAMC to VAMC in the same states.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

I had my eyes examined last week at Seattle VAMC.

I have Diabetes and am supposed to have an exam every year, but had to wait 2 this time, and get my CBOC Doc to raise a BIG STINK to get this appt.

Once I was there it was great, as usual. Instaed of having my eyes dialated, they used they used the new macro camera and photo'd my eyes...way cool.

Anyway, I told the Doc I hated lined bifocals, so he wrote PROGRESSIVE on the 'scirpt. Once down at the kiosk, the optician asked me "lined?"..I said "NO, the 'script says progressive". She checked the script again and it was ok, no charge.

Ask your eye Doc, the can write a 'script for progrssive, if they want.

• HadIt.com Elder

My VAMC sends us 100% types to a private eye doctor and if you get the basic eye glasses with no frills it is free.