Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Really Concerned About Reopening Ptsd/mst Claim

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Trying to keep on task, but today my feelings are really deflated. Long story shortened, for years been unhappy (aka depressed) that I didnt appeal original claim disability issues. Really think I was in denial for years for depression, didnt start counseling until near decade later.

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cowgirl You and Josephine should talk.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

Evidence in your Service Medical Records (SMR'S) will carry the most weight on a Claim for a Mental Disorder(s). What does your SMR'S show; what evidence/symptoms/diagnosis is of record . . . ???

Edited by Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder
Really? SMRs carry the most weight? Hope so. Its 'clearly' all there and MPR too. (ptsd/mst/greif/harrassement,etc) documented again and again. And....Completed military career honorably too. go figure. Just scheduled with consult for IMO (big step for me).thanks. cg tryin' to cg'up

You said, "I feel current mdd (major depressive disorder) diagnosis is result of PTSD/MST (military sexual trauma) that occured in service."

If it's easier to prove MDD (documentation shows: you had it then, you have it now, you have had it since discharge) . . . then why bother proving the MST/PTSD? You can write your claim/stressor letter and argue for MDD secondary to the MST - but it's not really the cause and effect that's at issue. What IS at issue is proving your current diagnosis (AXIS 1) is related to military service. Get your "proper diagnosis" and show them how it's the same as your service medical records. That's my take. ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder

Cowgirl

Have you had any treatment since you have been out of the service. That would carry weight as well. If the evidence is in your SMR's it is doable. Did you do the stressor letter? You need to connect the in-service events/illness with current diagnosis, and it helps to show continuity of treatment in intervening years. but not necessary. PTSD suffers need current diagnosis and verifiable stressor.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999,

You mentioned stressors for PTSD. Does the same apply for a claim for anxiety or depression?

How do you know what you consider to be a stressor to you, is a stressor to someone else?

Everyone handles things differently.

It appears unless you faced death or assault, you may not have a stressor.

This is a big one?

thanks,

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't have to have a stressor for an anxiety claim. What you probably need is SMR's that show treatment or diagnosis of the disorder. PTSD is an anxiety disorder but you have to have a verifiable stressor to get it. That seems unfair and makes PTSD the hardest claim to win for many. You get exactly the same compensation for all other mental/emotional disorders.