Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Employed By The Va

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

I noticed in the December 17, 2007 issue of the Army Times that approximately 30 percent of VA employees are veterans. The brief article went on to state that the VA leads other Federal agencies in

the hiring of veterans.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah-they used to be good at nepotism-in some VAs-

now they hire a lot of veterans-

A disabled (or non-disabled)veteran applying for or attaining work in the federal Gov should be fully aware of 38 Sec 2014 and their rights as employee.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

We have one here at the Local VAMC that was terminated for abusing sick leave as he was going to VA appointments. He blocked the register and they had to hire him. Well someones Kin didnt get the job until they fired him. I know of an Iraq Vet fired from VA police for a minor incident.

I posted the first one on Hadit last year. I will look it up.

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Places like the post office and VA have to hire vets but they don't have to keep them. They don't have to promote them either. I worked at the Tampa VA for about a year and getting a promotion was hopeless. I then went to the Post Office where it was worse but better money by far.

hey john..i worked at the haley in 03 up on 7n[terminal illness] for sonya collazo[nrse. mgr] good friends with charlotte henderson, nursing administrator,....small world..william n

Edited by williamn

william

The VA and strangely enough, the US Military are the worst offenders among the agencies in hiring Veterans. I had my battle with them too. The system is bogged down by BS requirements and secret hiring practices, coupled with the old " good ole boy " system. Veterans preference is just " preference ", its what you prefer, sort of like chocolate or vanilla.

There are so many disabled " Reservists" that had a normal and professional life but now they are disabled, which should makes them qualified for many of these jobs and getting the 10 point boost. This is obviously raising some eyebrows when Veterans are applying for jobs in the Federal Sector.

Agencies don't even won't to deal with us. They don't won't to get caught or some just don't understand what the law states. Jobs being catered to Veterans are low paying jobs.

Two years ago, after applying for thousands of Fed jobs, I found one that I was qualified for. I was given a certificate by the hiring board with disabled veteran status, plus I meet all the requirements.

This is not just any job, it was a big shot job with the VA in Chicago, making $140,000 per year. After contacting them to find out the status of my application, I felt something was not right and was getting the run around.

I finally contacted the office of the VFW in DC. He eventually looked into it. Turns out that I was supposedly number 8 out of the top 200 that applied for the position. But he honestly told me one important thing, " Alex, you had no chance in hell in getting that job, it was already spoken for ".

There should be another site like Hadit for Veterans that got screwed out of their Federal job opportunities. Congress gave out billions after 9/11 to protect this country. A lot of that money went to creating positions within each Agency for the benefit of promotions within. At this point, I don't feel any safer than before.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wish more Veterans worked at the VA maybe it would treat Vets better. My check in nurse is a Veteran and her son is deployed in Iraq and I think that she is pretty dern good at her job.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.