VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Still File?

Rate this question

Lady Chance

Question

Please if someone could help us with this We would be very greatful. My brother had to stop working in Janaury of 2001 did not file until Feb 2005 because he was told he was getting an income from VA and could not get SSDI too. His Disablities have gotten worst. He worked up until 2001 and filed 2005. He was last insured on Dec 2003. Does this hurt him or can he file back to 2001? VA was trying to rehab him and it did not work during 2002. They just msde him PT 100 in June.

Thanks and Happy Hollidays

Lady C

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Lady Chance not sure what you are asking here. However, if you are talking about SSDI then I suggest that you visit the social security web site. My understanding is that they will only pay back for 12 months if the medical evidence supports this. this time period will also be included in the medicare waiting period so he would have 12 more months to wait in order to be eligble for medicare.

Lady,

Please re-state your question so we can understand what you are asking.

Also:

Yes, A vet can collect VA Compensation and SSDI at the same time, but due to income

in many cases would have problems collecting VA compensation and SSI due to income

guides.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

He can file just be sure and use the 2001 date as date that disability started and not the date of filing.Unlike the VA going to Social Security Office and getting them to help is a good option.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays to you also.

My brother did file SSDI not SSI in Feb 2005. I am sorry I used to think they were the same. He has been denied twice and he thinks he waited to late to receive SSDI. I told him just ask for a hearing and get an attorney. 2001 he was rated by VA AT 50% and was told he did not qualify for Soc Sec. Did Voc Rehab and could not finish. My question is can an attorney straighten this out for him at the hearing and still get SSDI back in 2001?

Thanks

Lady C

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that an attorney can fix it but they have to accept the case as they don't get paid unless they win