Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opinions On Ltr To Support Claim

Rate this question

ruby

Question

Trying to make this usable for both SSA and VA any opinions would be nice, do you think it covers both service connect (active 75-78) and depression due to condition.

I am writing this letter on behalf of my patient xxxxx. I first saw xxxx in 1983-1986, then from 2005 to present.

Ms xxxx symptoms have been steadily increasing in magnitude since 1977 when it was noted she had reactive arthritis in her sacroiliac joints, xxxx has progressively worsen over the past 2 years. It is my opinion the arthritis in all joints Ms xxxx suffers from is related. I would consider her to be permanently and totally disabled due to her arthritis as dictated in my notes.

Due to the magnitude, scope and complexity of this patient’s condition it is unreasonable at this time to expect that she will be able to work at any time in the near or distant future. At best, medication can only decrease the rate of progression in this chronic arthritic disease. In my opinion, this patient would be a liability to any employer, and would be unable to sustain gainful employment of any sort, due to her physical, mental emotional and psychological limitations.

I have included a residual functional capacity form to help further assist you in your evaluation of her claim

Sincerley,

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruby:

I commend you and since you quite eloquently spelled it out I think that you are right and have laid out a case that should work for many.

My outside opinion was written by a respected Physician at one of the top Hospitals in Dallas. He interviewed me for and hour and actually read my service medical records and wrote a three page opinoion that refuted the VA in every way. In fact I think there is no way I could have written a letter as good as his.

I helped my Brother get a pension and it was written by respected Mexican Doc who wrote in a couple of paragraphs that my brother suffered from depression that he acquired in Service in Viet Nam and that he doubted that he would be able to work.

My Brother was granted a Pension in 4 months with no C&P which was amazing to me.

Many of us take different roads and I believe that if someone who fighting VA can't get a good outside opinion than your way is a damn good one.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to expand on your original post and so civilly. I wish that all Hadit members would keep in mind how you addressed different opinions and yet ended up showing that your way was a good one for someone to consider.

I hope that you stay with us a long time and good luck on your claim.

Pete,

Just didn't want to offend anyone, there are exceptions to the rule.

While you didn't see what I was originally trying to say is don't expect someone to take an hour of thier time to do this if they aren't getting paid for it.

For those that can't afford to pay for another opinion the quickest and fastest way to get an answer is to do all the leg work yourself and do everything they could possibly ask for at the beginning.

If I was willing to take the chance they would write something in a timely fashion, I am positive it would be more compelling then what I wrote.

While I am probably being naive I think my SMR and VAMC clearly shows my condition is service connected and I don't need an outside opinion.

The more I read, the more I am thinking perhaps I should cover all the bases before I am denied and I have to appeal.

Should I take that route, what do you do ask for an appointment for a second opinion-In my area that will cost 275-375.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruby, best to you and your claim. While I am sorry that you have this condition, sure sounds like you are well on your way to making a case that will spin heads for the amount of knowledge and history you have.

As I read your description, I was thinking my best C&P was the one I prepared for, thanks to Hadit members, I used a 'VA exam worksheet' specifically for my leg condition that I didnt know existed before I came here. Not being medical, I was able to present terminology that supported my request for SC and it worked. With another doctor/provider, I had asked for a "IMO" statement, but first the doctor requested my personal statement of health and responded to the facts/factors I presented, their statement was top notch. Since I had 'requested' the letter, the doc had something to file for their valuable time and input (cya). Years ago, my worst C&P, pysch, was one I didnt fear or prepare for, I was naive and didnt have a clue about. Took years to correct, but thanks to Hadit members experience and freindly advice, its behind me.

Keep us posted and we'll hope the best for ya'! cg

Edited by cowgirl

Ruby, I was misdiagnosed in service and for the next 17 years inspite of the medical evidence. The lumbosacral strain was a misdiagnosis, which is well documented by the VAMC docs. However, it actually worked out in my favor. My condition was considered chronic and my VAMC docs have indicated that it is made worse by the AS. I already know that I am getting the max for the lumbosacral strain.

The RA negative factor is irrevelent when it comes to the active disease process for AS and ReA. There is no Diagnostic Code in 38 CFR for those two conditions specifically so the RO's are trained to use DC 5002 for the active disease process.

Our cases are more alike than different.

Not sure why anyone thinks that I was attacking you. Hey, I hope everything works out in your favor. Lord knows, I have been hoping it works out in mine.

Unless someone sent you a pm I don't think anyone thought you were attacking me. I didn't. I am sorry for your illness as I know the pain first hand. I am glad to have someone who knows first hand the pain I have.

With this condition, you couldn't really look at me and think that my pain is 7-10 daily or that I have to rest frequently and I can't walk, even my friends didn't understand until I finally showed them my xrays and now they treat me like an invalid, thats the exact reason I never pushed for disability before now. Now its I'll get that for you, oh, let me do that. Ok guys I can still walk to the kitchen, to the mailbox, to my neighbors, but don't ask me to go beyond that, I can't.

I think I have been denied arthritis in all joints ie reactive and they are giving me an increase for pain and drease in motion.

I have to wait and see. I made an appointment for SSDI for Jan 8. I hope that goes better.