Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Second Iris And A Little Ticked

Rate this question

vickia1969

Question

I joined this site in Feb. I was told to do an IRIS. I did, his file was sitting in DC waiting on a medical opinion on his tinnitus. The file went to DC from Baltimore the first of January. Well the original IRIS told me that. About 2 weeks ago I called his VSO who is a state rep and told him this. Well he made a call and told me what I told him. So he said he was emailing the head of the DC VAMC. I called him back today and he said that she never answered him. So I said now what? How can a file sit for 4 months waiting on a opinion on Tinnitus? Well he told me to call the 1800 number and ask them. He had the hearing test Sept 07. It is April 08 and nothing on the tinnitus. I filled his claim for him in Feb 07 and he has only had 2 C&P exams in a year. I am afraid with the other problems we filed for it will be many years. He has found out he has HEPC since we filed, he has COPD lost 2 lower lobes in one lung service connected. Just found that out. They are not even on his claim. Anyway enough of the b*tching. How do I deal with a state rep that says call yourself? If he can't get anywhere I have no doubt the door will be slammed shut on me. I know it is not recommended to call your congress person on this so I am leary. Mine is Barbara Mikulsky She is a spitfire. Anyway got any suggestions?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not in the same city as the VARO, then my guess would be that Gerald Taylor is the VSO that actually works at the state headquarters of your SO, which is usually located within the VARO. I know the DAV does this. I deal with one guy at the VAMC here, but when I get a confirmation of claims filed from the Nashville DAV office, it is always from someone else. If you use the DAV, the person who is at the local chapter or at the VAMC isn't actually a VSO, they are a DSO. I think that stands for District Service Officer, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

No my VSO is a state officer named George Kauffman he is located in Frederick and Hagerstown MD. He usually refers me to Dave Clark at the Baltimore MD office. So who the heck is Gerard Taylor? When my VSO gets in the office Friday I will give him a call again.

• HadIt.com Elder

this guy could be anotehr VSO in B'more...maybe. Or, it could be that the 800#/IRIS responder was clueless.

I'm with you, though...I would find out who he is.

-multiple claims filed truly clutters up your situation. They will have his file bouncing around the VARO and VAMC like there is no tomorrow. Sorry but this is reality and no level of congress can help in this situation.

-you are not a reconized veterans organization so they will not discuss any information from the files with you. Sorry but that is the law. This Gerald guy is probably the head of the service organization that you are using.

-when you send the IRIS simply indicate that you are the veteran. Once again they will not discuss any type of medical information with the veteran via IRIS for they can not verify that it is truly the veteran asking the questions. They will only answer simply things such as status of the claim (if they can figure it out). If you call the 1-800 number your husband will have to initate the call and answer any security questions. Then he can inform them that they are authorized to speak to you. This will have to be done each and every time. With all of the heat they have taken over the past few years about this the contact team (1-800 and IRIS gurus) will not allow any breach of privacy on their watch. Now the other employees, as evidenced by all of the computer breaches, are another story.

Sorry you are having such a problem. But even with acting like you are the veteran via IRIS or having your husband initate a call to the 1-800 gurus you are most likely not going to get any reliable information because of the filing of multiple claims/issues. There is no telling where his file is at in the process - rating team, predetermination team, VAMC etc. You are going to have to hang in there like the rest of us and let the system work. Yes it is slow, but it is not by design. It is simply an over worked, file, paper and law driven system that is behind technology by several years.

Edited by Ricky