Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Second Iris And A Little Ticked

Rate this question

vickia1969

Question

I joined this site in Feb. I was told to do an IRIS. I did, his file was sitting in DC waiting on a medical opinion on his tinnitus. The file went to DC from Baltimore the first of January. Well the original IRIS told me that. About 2 weeks ago I called his VSO who is a state rep and told him this. Well he made a call and told me what I told him. So he said he was emailing the head of the DC VAMC. I called him back today and he said that she never answered him. So I said now what? How can a file sit for 4 months waiting on a opinion on Tinnitus? Well he told me to call the 1800 number and ask them. He had the hearing test Sept 07. It is April 08 and nothing on the tinnitus. I filled his claim for him in Feb 07 and he has only had 2 C&P exams in a year. I am afraid with the other problems we filed for it will be many years. He has found out he has HEPC since we filed, he has COPD lost 2 lower lobes in one lung service connected. Just found that out. They are not even on his claim. Anyway enough of the b*tching. How do I deal with a state rep that says call yourself? If he can't get anywhere I have no doubt the door will be slammed shut on me. I know it is not recommended to call your congress person on this so I am leary. Mine is Barbara Mikulsky She is a spitfire. Anyway got any suggestions?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VARO is right they can't talk to you about this due to privacy regulations.

The only way thay would be able to talk to you direct is if your husband gave you POA or submitted a release of information form, but I am unclear if they allow that form/process to an individual that doesn't have a recognized status with them (service officer/attorney/MOC/Doctor).

Have your husband send an IRIS in his name (yes you can write it for him), when they respond he can let you read it.

As Rental stated if you have multiple conditions filed on this claim that may be what is delaying it. They are supposed to rate as soon as there is enough evidence to prove disability and defer items that are not ready. Depending on how inter-related the conditions are they may be trying to rate them all at once to avoid pyramiding.

Best regards,

Tyler

• HadIt.com Elder

Lets clear up one thing. The VA tries to shield its malfeasance by making it difficult for spouses to talk to them. I suggest that you get in writing and provide to the VA authorization from your husband for them to deal with you. If you are on the phone all you need to do is have him tell them to talk to you.

If it is in writing let your husband sign the request and ask that they deal with you.

Good Luck

Well I do have POA, but I guess that does not much good. When I am home I do tell the guy at the 800 talk to my husband first. But who the heck is Gerard Taylor? Neither one of us has ever heard of him.

• HadIt.com Elder
Well I do have POA, but I guess that does not much good. When I am home I do tell the guy at the 800 talk to my husband first. But who the heck is Gerard Taylor? Neither one of us has ever heard of him.

Make sure that they have a copy of your POA. That gives you the right to talk to them about his case, and they need to know it. Be polite but forceful if you have to. You might have to pay a lawyer to make a phone call and explain the POA laws to them.

• HadIt.com Elder

I read the posts here and have a few thoughts.

Is it possible that a different POA shows on your husbands records? That may be the person listed on the response. Thinking that because once I forgot to cancel a POA and learned it similarly.

Submitted a few Iris forms myself, and if my husband knew my military particulars, he could do it as well. I trust him, but he's usually busy with other honey do's!

Once I filled out a iris form, returned to correct data, data was still there, no safeguarding my information; glad I wasn't on a public computer! When I printed the page 'critical data' showed, instead of blanks! Most websites don't retain private information, try credit unions or using free email; redo's are lots of re-typing and forgotten passwords are worse.

Best to ya, cg

No his VSO has POA for his VA and is not Gerard Taylor. Oh I have a POA that is on file at the VAMC. I guess that will make a difference. I did the IRIS before and referenced the IRIS like I was my husband. I did not act like I was him on this IRIS. I have my husbands permission to do this. If it was left to him he would not do it. He would give up. Not be bothered. Well I guess I am going to call the VSO on Friday when he is back in the office and tell him they said to call Gerald Taylor and ask him who he is. Because I have no idea neither does my husband. Thanks for your ideas.