Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Second Iris And A Little Ticked

Rate this question

vickia1969

Question

I joined this site in Feb. I was told to do an IRIS. I did, his file was sitting in DC waiting on a medical opinion on his tinnitus. The file went to DC from Baltimore the first of January. Well the original IRIS told me that. About 2 weeks ago I called his VSO who is a state rep and told him this. Well he made a call and told me what I told him. So he said he was emailing the head of the DC VAMC. I called him back today and he said that she never answered him. So I said now what? How can a file sit for 4 months waiting on a opinion on Tinnitus? Well he told me to call the 1800 number and ask them. He had the hearing test Sept 07. It is April 08 and nothing on the tinnitus. I filled his claim for him in Feb 07 and he has only had 2 C&P exams in a year. I am afraid with the other problems we filed for it will be many years. He has found out he has HEPC since we filed, he has COPD lost 2 lower lobes in one lung service connected. Just found that out. They are not even on his claim. Anyway enough of the b*tching. How do I deal with a state rep that says call yourself? If he can't get anywhere I have no doubt the door will be slammed shut on me. I know it is not recommended to call your congress person on this so I am leary. Mine is Barbara Mikulsky She is a spitfire. Anyway got any suggestions?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can try your state rep. Maybe she will stand up for you. Probably you will have to do it all yourself and never trust a VSO to file anthing for you.

I don't really have any advice to offer. I just wanted to say that I had my C&P in Sept 07 and it was for a claim filed in March 07. So, I'm thinking you should hear something soon because it usually takes 12-18 months (these days) to get a decision on your claim. Unless, of course, it is just that cut and dry with all things in order (every I dotted and t crossed).

I know the waiting is frustrating. But involving your congresswoman could tack on another 2-3 months because the file is pulled for review by a different department.

This is my husbands claim. I guess I need to clear that up. Its not mine. It just gets me that the VSOs words were never give up because I won't, then he says well maybe you should call. He is a State of Maryland employee. The VSO. My Husband is on SSD for his PTSD and other claims. Forced retirement from his job as he was on disability for a year.

I joined this site in Feb. I was told to do an IRIS. I did, his file was sitting in DC waiting on a medical opinion on his tinnitus. The file went to DC from Baltimore the first of January. Well the original IRIS told me that. About 2 weeks ago I called his VSO who is a state rep and told him this. Well he made a call and told me what I told him. So he said he was emailing the head of the DC VAMC. I called him back today and he said that she never answered him. So I said now what? How can a file sit for 4 months waiting on a opinion on Tinnitus? Well he told me to call the 1800 number and ask them. He had the hearing test Sept 07. It is April 08 and nothing on the tinnitus. I filled his claim for him in Feb 07 and he has only had 2 C&P exams in a year. I am afraid with the other problems we filed for it will be many years. He has found out he has HEPC since we filed, he has COPD lost 2 lower lobes in one lung service connected. Just found that out. They are not even on his claim. Anyway enough of the b*tching. How do I deal with a state rep that says call yourself? If he can't get anywhere I have no doubt the door will be slammed shut on me. I know it is not recommended to call your congress person on this so I am leary. Mine is Barbara Mikulsky She is a spitfire. Anyway got any suggestions?

Have you called the 800#?

If not, do so, if you get an a%shole, call back a day or an hour later.

I usually have no problem getting an answer as to where my file is or what current status it is in.

Have you obtained the results of the C&P exams yourself?

If not go obtain those and send them into the RO yourself, it has happened in the past that they for whatever reason had to have someone pinch their a&s to get things moving.

When they sent my claim out for an opinion, it took them four or five months to get it back from the opining doctor.

But I would suggest saving a bag of air opps I mean politician as a last resort as they will get your claim off track for about two months even if they can be helpful.

Edited by donews

• HadIt.com Elder

Do not call your congressperson...this will only add time to the claim. I would suggest against calling the 800#, because you most likely will not get correct information. I would send another IRIS, except I would choose the option that says "Complaint." Then I would address it to The Honorable James Peake. Then state exactly what you ahve stated here. Let them know that it is appalling that a simple tinnitus claim could take this long.

A side note, though, if he has filed multiple claims then they are most likely working on all of them together. It can take up to two years to get a decision on the simplest of claims these days, so the only real piece of advice I can offer is to be patient, but tenacious. Send another IRIS.

This is the answer

Dear Mrs. Stevens,

This is in response to your inquiry.

We regret hat we aren't able to provide answers to your questions about your husband's claim because it would be a breach of the Privacy Act. We understand that you have been dealing directly with Mr. Gerard Taylor, and we suggest that you contact him with your questions.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely yours,

Cheryl R Flohr

VSCM

Baltimore Regional Office

dth

Never heard of Gerard Taylor. My husband has always had me take care of things for him.

I guess I need to have my husband respond. With a who is he