Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Ptsd Awarded

Rate this topic

JoAnn

This morning I received the phone call of all phone calls. It was Paul from the DAV in Washington DC. He asked if I was sitting down and then told me that I would not have to worry about anything anymore because I had been awarded 100% for PTSD. I cried. He told me that I was getting back pay to 2005 when I filed my claim. I am still crying.

In 2005 I filed my claim and was told that I would not get anything for PTSD due to MST. The SO filed the claim but told me nothing. It was denied. I then filed a NOD. I was told not to give the VA any information. It was their job to find out what happened. Again it was denied. I filed for a hearing with the BVA and then found all of you. I began the work of getting my records and learning the law and putting everything together for the hearing. When I was through I had a 3" binder of evidence. Another vet went with me to the hearing. Because of her, I was able to tell my story and present my evidence. The SO did nothing. The BVA decision was that there was enough evidence and I was finally given my C&P exam. Then I got a letter from Seattle stating that the claim was denied. I started making phone calls to the folks that you all provided for me. I listened to your advice and took the denial letter, addressed everything listed, provided evidence in support of my disagreement and sent it all to Washington, DC. This is where I was connected with Paul from the DAV. He went through my file, had a female go through my file, and then presented it to one of the top raters at the AMC. This morning it was finally done. I won.

I want to thank each one of you who replied to my posts and gave me help. I could not have done it without your support and the information that I got from others who had taken this trip before me. Right now I am feeling numb. My emotions are all mixed up. I feel like going to bed and waking up again to see if it was a dream. I am trying to process what it is going to feel like to not have to ask for help everymonth just to keep my apartment and feed myself.

Again, thank all of you for your support. You are my Angels.

Jo Ann

US Army

1974-1977

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

JoAnn:

Congrats and remember this for all the people who offered support, encouragement and help none would have meant anything if you gave up.

Please stay with us and help other Veterans.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

JoAnn,

Congratulations!

I think there are two lessons to be learned by your story.

1: Ultimately we have to become familiar with getting our records and becoming familiar with the laws and them doing a lot of the work on the claims ourselves as you did. At the same time use the knowledge of the many experts on Hadit and others.

2: As Pete mentioned never give up.

Ruffcreek

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Congratulations Joanne!! You really worked your claim!!

Hope you can rest easy for a little while. Bitter Sweet.

Your vet sister, ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• In Memoriam

Congrats Joann.

Now you can realize that you have been working on your claims, in your mind, everday and that the work is over for you. It can be kind of a let down, even though it is a very positive thing. There are a new set of problems to deal with. I hope you do well. Las Vegas probably isn't the place to be, hehe.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• Founder

very happy for you joann - now don't worry if you feel a bit down, it is pretty common and it will pass. once the money hits the bank you'll feel a bit better, and soon you will feel even better. make sure you take care of yourself, this is a major life changing event, so give yourself time to adjust, try not to make any major decisions until you adjust. be good to yourself and start to relax.

This morning I received the phone call of all phone calls. It was Paul from the DAV in Washington DC. He asked if I was sitting down and then told me that I would not have to worry about anything anymore because I had been awarded 100% for PTSD. I cried. He told me that I was getting back pay to 2005 when I filed my claim. I am still crying.

In 2005 I filed my claim and was told that I would not get anything for PTSD due to MST. The SO filed the claim but told me nothing. It was denied. I then filed a NOD. I was told not to give the VA any information. It was their job to find out what happened. Again it was denied. I filed for a hearing with the BVA and then found all of you. I began the work of getting my records and learning the law and putting everything together for the hearing. When I was through I had a 3" binder of evidence. Another vet went with me to the hearing. Because of her, I was able to tell my story and present my evidence. The SO did nothing. The BVA decision was that there was enough evidence and I was finally given my C&P exam. Then I got a letter from Seattle stating that the claim was denied. I started making phone calls to the folks that you all provided for me. I listened to your advice and took the denial letter, addressed everything listed, provided evidence in support of my disagreement and sent it all to Washington, DC. This is where I was connected with Paul from the DAV. He went through my file, had a female go through my file, and then presented it to one of the top raters at the AMC. This morning it was finally done. I won.

I want to thank each one of you who replied to my posts and gave me help. I could not have done it without your support and the information that I got from others who had taken this trip before me. Right now I am feeling numb. My emotions are all mixed up. I feel like going to bed and waking up again to see if it was a dream. I am trying to process what it is going to feel like to not have to ask for help everymonth just to keep my apartment and feed myself.

Again, thank all of you for your support. You are my Angels.

Jo Ann

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use