Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab

Rate this question

Ryan H.

Question

I got the envelope that wet with what the 1800 number told me. I got a 80% combined rating.

I do not want TDUI or whatever it is. I want a career that I enjoy that can maybe reduce my mental problems and improve my quality of life.

I have filled out the Voc rehab form and I think I'm supposed to send it to the RO.

I have some questions about the process.

1) After i submit the form is it a lengthy process to get the first apointment?

2) How does the process work?

3) Can I pic what I know I want to do.

Here is what I'm wanting from this.

In the Marines I flew in Helicopters as a crew chief. Helicopter still make me a bit jumpy, but i associate some of my best and worse memories with flying while in the states. (Iraq is a different story).

I want to fly helo's for a living, I want to work for a company that maybe does tours or arial photagraphy.

There is a good state college here that offers a professional aviation degree and I think it would be best for me to go there. I would already have half of the required credits done due to me having an A&P license.

4) If i go through the Voc Rehab process does that require me to do what they feel is best or do I have input in the degree I want to do?

5) Will i get the GI bill while also having Voc rehab pay the tuition and books?

6) Would i lose my rating if I were to graduate and gain employment. Honestly I would not care to lose the rating as long as my job helped me mentally feel better about myself.

Any input would be nice and thanks agian for all the help!

It's never too late to get it fixed!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Voc Rehab will call you to come in and take some of their tests and later schedule you to see a Councilor. They will go over options and getting a license to fly helicopters. They might not but you have a chance if they think that your work will lover what they are paying you now. Offically they will say they have to feel that after your training that you can get a job.

If you get it than its a free ride they pay for everything and also give you over 800 bucks a month while you train. You also get free Dental Care

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I would have no issues with the Va reducing me if they helped to put me in a job that would make my everyday life more enjoyable. I mean, right now life sucks. I have no motivation, or desire to do anything. When I'm not working I sit on the couch and sleep or numb my brain with music. I think that if I enjoyed what i did every day and if I had some one behind me to help me do it then I would better off in the long run. I'm 25. Some days i cant bear to think about what the rest of my life would be like if nothing changed. The pills help but when its bad then its bad and the only thing that makes it better is to know that there is the smallest possibility that things can only get better. To be honest the VA has done its job for me. They treat me for my issues, and the compensate me adiquitly. I realize that I am a lucky one, I am one of the few that the system has worked for. I hate that there are vets here that have had to wait years when I only had to wait 3 months. Thats 3 months start to finish. I it would have been much longer if not for the vets here giving me the advise i needed to straighten out the claim before it got to the rater.

Wow i went off on a wild ride just then. I guess what I'm saying is I feel that there are many vets that are worse than me and have been dealing with these problems alot longer. If voc rehab helps me get to a point in my life where I felt comfortable then that would be worth every penny the va decided to take back.

It's never too late to get it fixed!

• HadIt.com Elder

Ryan - I don't know what your conditions are but if one is PTSD, given your age, I'd recommend you go thru with Voc Rehab. I've had PTSD for about 41 yrs and as such I don't believe they can help me, other than to support me financially. Too late at this point to "cure" me(if there ever is a cure), as old habits can't be changed. But for you I think you have a great chance! It's ingrained in humans to be productive and successful. Even at my age, I still dream of ways to work but they come between frequent suicidal thoughts. If I were you I'd pursue flight school and whatever else you can do. Voc Rehab will do a battery of tests and then some counseling sessions, usually 3 in all, and will tell you what they feel you're capable of. Obviously, your goal shoud be something they see attainable but the choice is yours. In the mean time I'd pursue TDIU. You can receive TDIU while attending school, because the ability to attend and do well, in an educational environment, does not equate to an ability to work.

As for your lack of motivation, it could be caused by over medication. I generally don't use the drugs the VA prescribes, as I find being medicated is like ground hog day - same stuff different day. I want to feel lifes up & downs. Exercise is a good thing to help with your wellbeing and a good counselor can help also. Choosing attainable goals improves our quality of life and success rate substantialy. I get overwhelmed when trying to take on too much, so I break down the tasks into smaller units and congratulate myself when I've completed each one. Even the longest hike can be broken down into many short trips/successes. Sorry I've rambled on!!! Good luck!!! Also, I believe the VA will pay your comp, plus tuition & books and a stipend while you're attending school.

pr

I am going through VRE right now I sent in the paper work (actually filled it in online at the va.gov site) The VA contacted me about a month later, I am in a very busy area for vets so yours might go quicker. They set me up for my first appointment again about a month down the road, went to that and watch a video with a group of vets that shows pretty good what all they have to offer in the way of training, internships and schooling. Right after that had my first meeting with my assigned counscelor. Make sure you have a good idea what you want to do before you go, sounds like you do so probably no problem there. Also in my case they had to get a medical clearence before I could even particpate. I was referred by my case manager to take an aptitude test that took another 6 weeks did that in Feb 08 did not get back into go over my test until May 08 and then my case manager said I was not relly elligible for VRE but I was for ILP. So now I am waiting for a VA evaluator to come to my house and recommend what I need to make my current job easier and keep me working at what I do.

Long short of it is I think they are going to come up with ways that will help and just waiting to find out. I did have some ideas of some other things I wanted to do but they shot them down due to my condition I am 70% with a claim in for increase and the fact of my age I am 58 so school was rulled out but I may get some classes that offer certificates at the community college. They said I also maybe eleigible for a subsitence payment of $645 and oh yeah free dental while I am in the program.

That about sums it up on me good luck on yours and hope you get the help you deserve. Thank you for your service!

Ryan- I am pretty sure you would not be able to use the GI bill at the same time you are in Voc Rehab.

As long as the school you pick is fully VA approved (and most of them are) you should definitely have some input into the Voc Rehab plan as to what you intend to pursue.

My husband went through the Voc Rehab stuff- actually it went fairly smoothly-but he had to go to appointments etc to be approved and then develop plan of schooling.

It took us all day to get to one appointment with a VA Voc Rehab counselor in Rochester-and the appointment only took 10 minutes.

The vets counselor, a Persian Gulf War vet herself-at the school (Corning College)-

made lots of the paperwork etc a breeze for him-as she tied in with the VA by PC on his enrollement etc.

yes-they pay the stipend, and the book fee, and the tuition.

The school even made some accomodations to his SC PTSD.

Your state might have some Pell Grant or other state benefits for veterans-

I never applied for a Pell Grant but someone told me- and I think others here said it too- that CHapter 35ers can get VA CHap 35 as well as Pell Grants-or maybe state financial too -and not lose their CHap 35-

maybe this is the case for Voc Rehab too-

Then again I am Chapter 35 er and this is a little different from Voc Rehab-

VA paid a rate that was usually equal to my tuition and the VA counselor at my school was very helpful in tying up my school courses with the VA Educational Dept.

Although Chapter 35ers have to pay their tuition first and

then the VA reimburses.

Good luck!!!!!! College is hard but well worth the time and effort!

I envy you- the VA would not pay for me to continue flight school (only a Chap 35 reg I think)but they did pay for much of my recent degree.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get the TDIU because Voc Rehab does not pay enough for you to pay for school and also to live on while you go to school. When you complete rehab and get a job then after a certain amount of time you can give up the TDIU. You want to be sure you can hold a job before you give up TDIU. It takes a while to get it back if you are found to be able to work. Whatever career path you choose you don't want one that is going to aggravate any mental or physical conditions. If I was young and had a chance to get a career going I would do it. Being on 100% or TDIU is OK for us old guys but is a bummer for a 25 year old. I would hold onto the 80% if I could, however.