Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buddy Letters

Rate this question

rattattat

Question

Has anyone had this statement about their buddy letter included in their SOC?

" The statement from Axxxx Bxxxxxx is deemed unsubstantiated, providing no information or evidence to confirm his service with you in the Navy"

The buddy stated time, date, place of service,accident, symptoms after accident. He stated his job in the Navy and his association with Dave in the Navy. He stated that he has often visited Dave and has known him and about the neck problems that Dave has had continously for 45 years. He gave them his phone number and address.

All they had to do was call and request information to comfirm his service with Dave. I have not seen anything about a buddy letter requiring evidence sent in with the letter that they actually were together during service.

There would be no problem getting such evidence, but they never asked.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That is what puzzles me. The buddy letter had all of the things that everyone mentioned.

The only thing that I can think of is that they want an offcial document from the Navy showing that yes indeed he was at the same base at the same time the accident occured.

rattattat,

I had a buddy statement from my "Commanding Officer" that was listed as evidence and never stated if it was given any weight and if not, there was no discussion as to why the letter was not adequate to meet the requirements of VA law indicating combat stressors.

Read what Allan just posted under Chapter 5. It might help explain what, why and how they view buddy letters.

I know all my buddy letters came from nurses, but I didn't have them put thier initals by thier names or even mention they were nurses.

I will from now on.

• HadIt.com Elder

I do remember on my buddy letter, she was a nurse, who gave her service number, but she indeed was an eye witness to all events taken place in service and stated this in great detail, even down to her taking my medication.

It only cost her a trip to the hopsital with the help of the MP'S as she took too many of them.

Betty

I had 2 Buddy letters that were given full weight.

But, I had a Lawyer & he said to have them say what they knew & or saw on an Affadavit & get it notorized

GARY

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup, I had two "buddy letters" from guys I knew and that knew me and the circumstances involved in my injury.

Not until I had contacted them, after 40 years, did I discover that one of the guys had just retired from the VAMC in Iowa and the other had just retired as an 06.

Amazing........both of them used to come to me for help in writing letters and reports.

For some reason, the VA actually paid attention to both buddy statements.