Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Drug Co-pays

Rate this question

fogcloud

Question

I am a Priority 3 vet. I only have to pay an $8 co-pay for non-sc drugs. I just received my first billing from the VA, and they charged me $8 for 17 prescriptions = $136. They also billed my private insurance company, who paid them more than $8 per prescription. Why do I still have to pay the $8 co-pay if my private insurance already paid the $8 and then some?

Fog

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think that the VA should charge copays to properly enrolled Veterans. Just my 2 cents and another way that the VA divides our community.

If you are receiving a perscription for a health problem you presently are receiving a percentage for, the va is not to be charging you health provider for the meds...If they are, contact the provider and let them know, they will want proof of your approved percentage...

Edited by buickx

The VA is allowed by law to bill the insurance companies. It makes no difference if a Cat 3 has insurance or not. You will still pay $8 co-pay. The VA recomps the rest from insurance. This helps defray their cost, allowing them to provide services for other Vets. If you did not have insurance your cost and VA's remain the same. Really it is to your benifit as the deductible from your insurance work in your favor the rest of the year. If VA could not collect from insurance companies imagine the services that they would not provide because of budget restraints.

Callover is correct for the most part. VA is required by law to seek recoupment for the prescription. I personally have never had bills sent to my insuarnce company. Of course, my insurance is Tricare, so that would be the government charging the government. Come to think of it, Tricare is required to have private insurance pay before they do as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is required to re coup the cost for Non Service COnnected conditions as Callover has said.

My only advice is to pay it , keep your recipts and later on if you get increased to 50 percent or more, you can request the copays back to the effective date of the 50 percent.

I paid copays for 5 years. I filed a claim and was reimbursed with interest.

J

Edited by jbasser