VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

**********please Help*********************

Rate this question

SSGmajik

Question

I am new to this please bare with me. I know I posted this message once, but I am trying to find some more help. I am currently service connected at 50% for a multiple of spinal conditions I will list below. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. I am cuurently in for an increase, but have no idea if I will get one or not. My 50% is rated as 40% lower back mobility and 10% for neck mobility. I filed for an increase for everything below.

1.)Nerve damage in my lower back caused chronic radiating pain down through my right leg and foot; as a result, the muscles in these locations have deteriorated. Occasionally, I get the same pain in my left leg.

2.)Degenerative Disc Disease (Moderate to severe grade) has developed in both my cervical and lumbar levels of spine.

3.)Migraines that occur at least one every seven days due to the chronic pain and the difficulty to sleep. When I roll over at night, I experience intense radiating pain which contributes to the severity of the migraines.

4.)Spondylolisthesis/retrolisthesis (segmental instability) in my Lumbar and Cervical (Moderate to severe grade) spine has caused stiffness and pain, making it very difficult to move around.

5.)Scar from the microdiscectomy surgery approximately three inches in length and is sensitive to touch.

6.)Osteophytes and/or Bone-spurs in my Cervical and Lumbar spine (Moderate to severe grade) causing stiffness, pain, and risks further damage to the spine.

7.)Scoliosis also causes stiffness and pain.

8.)Bulging discs in my Cervical and Lumbar spine contributes to the severe radiating pain.

9.)Spinal Stenosis in my Cervical and Lumbar spine (Moderate to severe grade) which contributes to the severe radiating pain, stiffness, and numbness, in the right leg and foot.

10.)Facet arthropathy (Moderate to severe grade) in my Cervical and Lumbar spine and is contributing to the severe pain in my neck and lower back.

Thanks,

SSGmajik

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know my way around spinal claims as well, and sixthsense (among others) has helped me to gain that knowledge. The way I am seeing it is, without incapacitating episodes or unfavorable ankylosis of the entire TC spine, the best you are going to get will be 40% for the lumbar injury. The best you will get for the c-spine will be 10%-20% based on range of motion. The beautiful thing with IVDS ratings is that they allow for secondary conditions to be tacked on. There are many secondary conditions to a spinal injury. So, my advice is that if you think that you are suffering from any type of mood disorder/pain disorder, get an appointment with your PCP and tell them. That way you can get a psych consult. This will get you help to begin working on the problem, and a feasible diagnosis and nexus for you to file a claim. The same goes for any bladder/bowel irregularities, or nerve issues such as sciatica. I'm not saying that you cannot get sc without a diagnosis from a PCP, etc. first, but it definately makes it tougher. In order to get a diagnosis from a C&P doc, you first have to get past the pre-determination team who schedules you for a C&P. Chances are if they see a claim without a firm diagnosis and nexus, they will send it straight to the rater to be denied without even scheduling a C&P at all. It may slip through, but I doubt it. Whatever you choose to do, best of luck, and we will be here to help you through it and lend moral support.

Bad advise just hurt the veteran... and the problem here is they dont KNOW if its good or bad. So it is up to US to make sure that advise offered is correct. If one member starts giving terrible advise then it has to be pointed out...

If I... ME... give bad advise I would expect and hope that someone would stand up and say... nope your wrong, and heres why moron....

I INVITE and ask that others review the advise I post and ensure that I am correct... and if I'm wrong slap me upside the head and say "look stupid quite saying this because"

Yes.. advise given on the board MUST be monitored and if its blatently incorrect, pointed out. PERIOD. If that something someone doesnt like, dont post bad advise.

Enough said about this, Im goiong to deal with this guy one on one... end of discussion about anything else.

rentalguy...

exactly thats why I am asking the questions I ma.... if he has a new injury perhaps the rating can go up... it really depends upon what he was actually rated for and the percentages for each.

but you are dead on... we can tack on several things if we can get a diagnosis and a connection as secondary to... right?

thats where im going with this right now and trying to narrow down what the next step needs to be you know?

Yeah and you are right... its just a "hot" button topic for me. It literally drives me up the wall every time I see it. But yeah we are on the same team....,. and I could be more polite... and will sincerely try to be.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sgt Majik, It would be wise to go ahead and file for the increase of the Cervical Spine. Ask for the increase and also ask for secondary SC for the nerves in the arms.

Your 10 percent is either for IVDS or Traumatic Arthritis.

Being 140 percent SC for the Cervical spine I can tell you this.

You will again be tested on ROM at your C and P exam. They will most likely give you an EMG and NCS.

This is Painful but it needs to be done to show two things.

1: The speed that signaal travels from the neck to the effected muscle groups.

2: The condition of the Meylin of the effected nerves.

Bob has queestioned wether or not you have had a meylogram. This is a good procedure but it is dangerous as they stick a needle in your spine, Inject contrasst. This is done on a rotating table and they rotate your head down and then take a live Xray (Fluroscope). This is often a last resort procedure.

Also be advised that the regs under both IVDS and Cervical Arthritis that effected nerve groups will be rated separately.

The nerves that are most likely effected are median, ulnar.

The true signs of this condition is called atrophy, where the muscles waste away, even with use.

Rentalguy1 posted a spine repositiry on the site and it was an excellent piece of work.

Anyhow, Myself, Rental, and Bob can help you. Just shoot us an email or PM.

On another note, It would be wise for the Elders and Mods here to study the M21.

John

Edited by jbasser