VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Claim

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Previous notes I have added included mention of my back injury and subsequent award from 10% to 20%. I did not originally file a claim on my diabetes but plan to do so as a secondary condition to my back. Why? I'm not physically able to exercise, which anyone with diabetes can tell you is vital to achieving and maintaining good sugar levels.

Has anyone filed such a claim and were you successful? Any suggestions as to my approach?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What the Veterans Benefits Manual says is that for a secondary condition you almost always need a medical opinion saying your secondary condition is related to your primary condition. The medical opinion needs to spell it out for the VA. You need to show the nexus and the how,why and when. Even for conditions that are very obviously secondary to DMII you need a medical opinion to back it up. You have to go to the mat with everything. That is how the VA discourages vets from pursuing their secondary claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tom,

I have a question. Were you in Vietnam "in country"? If so, diabetes could possibly be a claim unto itself. Diabetes is considered when it is a Vietnam veteran who served "in country." Also are you suffering from depression? Again, if you legitimately are, it would be an avenue to pursue. Others in VBN are more knowledgeable (I'm just a secretary) but I know both diabetes & depression played a role for my disabled hubby.

My site allows you access to the CFR Title 38 and a Medlineplus, both good resources.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

Hypertension and Diabetes actually go hand in hand, one usually follows the other. Your next issue may possible be CAD.

I am Service connedted for the HTN and have DMII but have not filed the claim. I most likely will not as I cannot see myself getting any additional compensation for the DMII.

Check out the HTN to see when you were diagnosed with it. It could be SC issue if you had High readings in service or within the first year post service. ( Presumptive for 1 year)

It is wise to try to get is SC. There are a lot of secondaries that a Vet can get attributed to DMII.

J

Previous notes I have added included mention of my back injury and subsequent award from 10% to 20%. I did not originally file a claim on my diabetes but plan to do so as a secondary condition to my back. Why? I'm not physically able to exercise, which anyone with diabetes can tell you is vital to achieving and maintaining good sugar levels.

Has anyone filed such a claim and were you successful? Any suggestions as to my approach?

Tom

John Hopkins University has just published a study linking diabetes to depression. If you are suffering from depression due to your SERVICE CONNECTED disabilties I would get the depression Service connected then go for the diabetes. Just thinking outside the box here

Jim

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually, with diabetes you want to get the DMII SC'ed first. Then all the other conditions can be claimed as secondary. If you had HBP before DMII the VA will try and say they are not connected. If you have DMII then it would be pretty easy to get HBP, PN, Heart Problems SC'ed as secondary.

I am in the same boat as you. I had surgery on my SC back in May 2007. Inactivity and have gained a lot of weight. In July 2008 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. No indications of diabetes prior to my back surgery.

I too have wondered if