VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych Doc @ The Va

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My husband and I have asked for a MEDICAL OPINION from the treating psychiatrist several times. Each time we ask, he says he will evaluate. He gives us PROGRESS NOTES. No opinion. The only thing that could be an opinion is the GAF score (averages 50). What can I do to get his OPINION and not him restating what my husband says?!

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

My first C&P was a joke. After a Hearing in which I complained about the idiot who did my first C&P at a Hearing I had requested they ordered a panel of 3 Docs to see me. The good thing was these Doc's had to be practicing at VA and for me I was lucky that my VA Shrink had written strong notes about me having panic disorder connected to my service. These Doc's allowed my wife to accompany me into the meeting as I said to them that if she did not come with me I would not go in. They allowed her in and eventually spent at least a third of the hour they had me talking to her about symptoms and how panic affected me.

If I ever have another meeting with a shrink at VA I will either have my dog or my wife with me. By the way I beg my wife to be careful but she usually gives the VA Doc an earful about what a sorry system they have. My favorite part of her visit is her rant about how the VA should be ashamed of how they treat Veteran's and their families. She also loves to mention how two faced the Veterans are treated by VAMC and that hell would freeze over before she would use her ChampVA to get any kind of care at the Dallas VA.

My bab7y Golden is 5 Months old and has started training to become an assist dog for me. She is eager to learn but still gets to excited when she first meets people. However she fetches and retrieves beautifully now including sending her out on own and bringing back the paper. She stays in our yard with no leash and comes back when I call her. She will walk without a leash on my left side and stop and sit when I do. I have attached her picture with my grand son Liam taken when she was 9 weeks old.

Pete

post-7-1220544704_thumb.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

Your pup is TOO CUTE, and Liam is a stud, gonna be a heartbreaker!! I've been speaking with a patient advocate to try to get a new C & P but I'm thinking I will need to go over her head, which is my next step, along with filing TDIU (I didn't know you didn't HAVE to be at 70%... thanks, HADIT!).

My first C&P was a joke. After a Hearing in which I complained about the idiot who did my first C&P at a Hearing I had requested they ordered a panel of 3 Docs to see me. The good thing was these Doc's had to be practicing at VA and for me I was lucky that my VA Shrink had written strong notes about me having panic disorder connected to my service. These Doc's allowed my wife to accompany me into the meeting as I said to them that if she did not come with me I would not go in. They allowed her in and eventually spent at least a third of the hour they had me talking to her about symptoms and how panic affected me.

If I ever have another meeting with a shrink at VA I will either have my dog or my wife with me. By the way I beg my wife to be careful but she usually gives the VA Doc an earful about what a sorry system they have. My favorite part of her visit is her rant about how the VA should be ashamed of how they treat Veteran's and their families. She also loves to mention how two faced the Veterans are treated by VAMC and that hell would freeze over before she would use her ChampVA to get any kind of care at the Dallas VA.

My bab7y Golden is 5 Months old and has started training to become an assist dog for me. She is eager to learn but still gets to excited when she first meets people. However she fetches and retrieves beautifully now including sending her out on own and bringing back the paper. She stays in our yard with no leash and comes back when I call her. She will walk without a leash on my left side and stop and sit when I do. I have attached her picture with my grand son Liam taken when she was 9 weeks old.

Pete

Pete,

that picture makes me want to make funny faces and talk crazy to Liam until he smiles at me!

sounds like your dog is a good one, he seems to be moving in the right direction. retrievers can be excitable, but since he obviously is getting good training, he should be an excellent dog. (being beautiful doesn't hurt either. :angry:

my c&p's were never an hour long. the first one was maybe 15 minutes, (it was more like a med check), and the one for an increase (30 to 70 percent for MDD) could have been 20 minutes. i am concerned about the next one, i have applied for TDIU so the appointment could be coming soon. i do not have anyone to go with me. i am afraid i will not do it "right".

Thanks mine was over 32 years and not revealed within 6 months of discharge keep up the good work assisting all vets.

Not only will I give you the regulation, I'll give you the exact quote, too. Here it is:

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#q

4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress.

When a mental disorder that develops in service as a result of a highly stressful event is severe enough to bring about the veteran’s release from active military service, the rating agency shall assign an evaluation of not less than 50 percent and schedule an examination within the six month period following the veteran’s discharge to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

• HadIt.com Elder

Halos2, the VA never did a follow up examination, nor did they rate him at the mandatory 50%. The law didn't exist when my husband was discharged, but I argued that he was never even given the opportunity to request the 50% and on top of that, the initial request was denied. Since that increase to the mandatory 50% my husband has gotten worse, not better. And, the VA also tried to argue that the 50% was "only temporary." The VA plays by their own rules, and I had to ask them, point blank WHERE it stated "temporary rating." They couldn't answer me. I asked this point blank question at a DRO hearing. I don't know if asking that question helped, but I do know that the guy had no answer to the question and our increase was granted within a month (I think) of that hearing.

Thanks mine was over 32 years and not revealed within 6 months of discharge keep up the good work assisting all vets.