VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych Doc @ The Va

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My husband and I have asked for a MEDICAL OPINION from the treating psychiatrist several times. Each time we ask, he says he will evaluate. He gives us PROGRESS NOTES. No opinion. The only thing that could be an opinion is the GAF score (averages 50). What can I do to get his OPINION and not him restating what my husband says?!

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Alex Humpfrey used to say that under 50% he could get 100% of some sort or another for the Veteran. I was rated 45% and got 100%. However, when I got my 100% the VA paid little or no attention to GAF.

The Veteran you mentioned is not being treated fairly in your State. As a matter of fact ask Larry what he thinks of VARO in Waco.

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm confused. Who is Alex Humphrey?

Alex Humphrey (May His Name be Remembered), was an attorney...not JUST an attorney, but an attorney and advocate for ALL veterans. He was responsible for more than one person on this very board getting their ratings, etc., from the VA ( I know, for I was one of them ).

He was a person for whom, in passing, will be sorely missed by the "verteran's community".

We lost him just a few months ago.

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder
Alex Humpfrey used to say that under 50% he could get 100% of some sort or another for the Veteran. I was rated 45% and got 100%. However, when I got my 100% the VA paid little or no attention to GAF.

The Veteran you mentioned is not being treated fairly in your State. As a matter of fact ask Larry what he thinks of VARO in Waco.

Did I hear someone call my name?

Ah, yes........Hi Pete!

A GAF of 50 or under (they are supposed to "rate" your GAF EVERYtime you go into the VAMC for anything psych-related......group therapy, etc., and they are SUPPOSED to put down in writing in all of your psych-related medical records for each time, your GAF "score"..then they are supposed to "average" your GAF "score" to reach a "generalized, over time," GAF "score" or "factor". Anyway, a GAF of 50 or less/lower should bring about a 70% disability, on it's own, with NO other psych disabilitys being thrown, it, a GAF of 50 or lower is, according to the VA's own interpretation of the DSM's = 70%.

And, yes, VARO in Waco, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts, DID just that with me. I had, like, an average of 45 on the GAF Richter Scale, which netted me a 70% and that 70% with my other SC'd 20% got me a VA mathematical 80%, but, not only that, but a TDIU of 100% (along with a couple of letters from my psych docs at the VAMC).

It's nice, this being rated 100% crazy.........it keeps me from wondering if I AM or not.

SO, now I KNOW that I am CRAZY.......it just leaves me to continue to wonder about ALL the rest of ya!

DO ya wanna know what I think?

Well? DO YA?

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, God bless Alex Humphrey! There are so few willing to fight for us on a large scale.

Speaking of the GAF score, I presented the VA with their own evidence! I sent them their own regulations as evidence for my husband. I said, "According to your own regulations for determining disability rating, I am at the 70 percent level with a GAF score of 45 at my latest evaluation, and an average GAF score of 50." I though myself quite clever for doing that, guess I'm not that clever after all.

Hey Purple, I like that t-shirt idea. We should have some made up and sell them on hadit.com!