VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Time Spent On Vets Claim With Definite Diagnosis

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Does anyone have any idea how much time a VSO would/could/should/does work on a vets claim with clear evidence of +PTSD? (war related with clear medal validations and reports/citations)

How about when the vet does all the work of writing out all forms, submitting them, writing out rebuttals, NOD, DeNovo requests, requesting new C&P, compiling all evidence, retrieving all medical records, obtaining all buddy letters, and family letters, making appointments at VAMC...forwarding all documents to VARO...

Exactaly what is the job duties of that VSO when the vet has completed all the above? How do they "represent" them? In what manner? What do they do at this stage of the claim as the vet has completed all the evidentiary information?

Edited by halos2

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

bobbyg,

Thanks for your service.

Glad to see a Service Officer posting here to offer help and suggestions.

Many here have not had good experiences with reps such as calls left

unanswered, info sent or not sent etc...

Thanks for the good work you do to help veterans such as yourself.

carlie

bobbyg,

Thanks for your service.

Glad to see a Service Officer posting here to offer help and suggestions.

Many here have not had good experiences with reps such as calls left

unanswered, info sent or not sent etc...

Thanks for the good work you do to help veterans such as yourself.

carlie

Carlie I appreciate your comments. VSO AND organizations are lacking as far as I am concerned. I do a lot of my work out of my house or the comptuer. I have claims in Oregon, Texas, Arkansas, and New Mexico. I just have the vet contact me and tell me where he is and I just walk him through it. The organization I was with just frustrated me to no end. They were to much into "membership and collection of funds for this and that". When I would not comply we ended up parting and the office is a shambles. There is mail stacked up from months past that have not been filed. I try to find VA response letters and I have to go to the VA and get copies, etc. I could go on but the vet is basically on his own, and I do not know why vets do their own claims with some help from people like me. I love the work but I do not want affiliation. A vet is a Vet PERIOD! Does not matter what war or period. Claims in the VA sometimes just sit. For instance I have a year old claim and finally they are going to do it, but the claims person was going on vacation and would do it when she got back. I called two weeks later and they had removed the claim from her desk and sent it to a different city to work while she was on vacation. Now my question is, if we are taking claims in from another city, WHY are we sending our claims out to be worked? Ask the VA that one! Claim still took about three months more to be done. Could go on but you get my drift. thanks again......................Q

Carlie I appreciate your comments. VSO AND organizations are lacking as far as I am concerned. I do a lot of my work out of my house or the comptuer. I have claims in Oregon, Texas, Arkansas, and New Mexico. I just have the vet contact me and tell me where he is and I just walk him through it. The organization I was with just frustrated me to no end. They were to much into "membership and collection of funds for this and that". When I would not comply we ended up parting and the office is a shambles. There is mail stacked up from months past that have not been filed. I try to find VA response letters and I have to go to the VA and get copies, etc. I could go on but the vet is basically on his own, and I do not know why vets do their own claims with some help from people like me. I love the work but I do not want affiliation. A vet is a Vet PERIOD! Does not matter what war or period. Claims in the VA sometimes just sit. For instance I have a year old claim and finally they are going to do it, but the claims person was going on vacation and would do it when she got back. I called two weeks later and they had removed the claim from her desk and sent it to a different city to work while she was on vacation. Now my question is, if we are taking claims in from another city, WHY are we sending our claims out to be worked? Ask the VA that one! Claim still took about three months more to be done. Could go on but you get my drift. thanks again......................Q

Overall I believe that the service organizations do care, however, I also believe that their "unwritten #1 priority" is getting "membership" which equals $$$$.

If I had known about this sight "before" I paid my $240 lifetime membership, I may have reconsidered.

I guess my point is how can a SO act so smug when this vet calls or emails him when he (SO) has done nothing...the vet and I have done it all and he emails the vet back 2 weeks after the vet asked if he knows of what process his DRO steps it is in, esp. since he told the vet after his 2nd C&P was done he should hear something back in 4-6 weeks.

It was 4 mths and 1 1/2 weeks ago, and he has the gall to email the vet that he has thousands of claims ahead, and no time to call or email the vet with nothing and he is doing all he can with his claim! Doing what???? He hasn't done a darn thing, notta, zilch, zip, nothing but did walk a fax across the hall one time. Yet watch him try and take the credit when the vet and I get it approved. My point, be nice and glad some vets do do all the work, and an email or phone call when he has done nothing wouldn't hurt.

If you can take the heat, get out of the kitchen, or office. Bet supervisors think this guy is working hard... We were told yrs ago we needed a SO to file the claim.

Just po'ed as all the time put into this and waiting game go on and on and on and on...and this guy tells him weeks because his claim is a straight forward one.

The vets organization did say make sure your dues are paid...Also they have access to the computer system and can read the status of the claim on the site as they pay 60k a year to have the accessibility, so use it!!

Wish I would have found this site 4 1/2+ yrs ago...and you all have a good day as I gotta drive 130 miles to my appt one way. Thanks for letting me vent...you guys are great!!

I sure hope everyone has more communication with their VSO than I have had in the past. Most of the time when I call, I get a receptionist, "I'm sorry he is helping another veteran", or he is in training the rest of the week and it he won't be back until Monday". I want to say, I hope the training learning the importance of communicating with the veteran in a claim.

Eventually I say let me give you my number and let him call me back at his convenient time. I can only remember getting one call back out of many attempts to communicate with him. Occasionally I will get a confirmation letter from the VSO saying they have received and submitted the paper work in my claim that I sent.

I belong to 3 different serivce organizations. DAV, VFW, The American Legion. Of course you can't change SO's in the middle of the stream.

The regs have changed within 38 CFR, 14.626 et al regarding service officer and vet rep responsibilities.

I have not been able to read the actual new regs yet but this is info I just got in the VBM 2008 edition.

One thing stands out- vet reps are not allowed to file any "frivolous or fraudulent" claim.

What bothers me there is fraudulent is obvious but what is the definition of frivolous?

What might appear on the surface as frivolous might well have a logical basis.

True case- a woman killed her husband, a PTSD veteran. When she got out of prison she applied for DIC. The BVA found the veteran's PTSD had caused him so much violent behavior towards her that his PTSD had contributed to his death when she killed him fearing his abuse.The BVA awarded DIC.

At first glance this DIC claim might have appeared frivolous to a vet rep.

Also this standing reg continues and many don't know of it-

any one at any time-without any formal training in VA case law may represent a veteran on a VA claim - on a one time basis.

As long as the 21-22 POA form is filed, the regs do not prohibit anyone from doing this.

Also any communication or intent to apply for a VA benefit regarding a specific veteran can come from a Congressperson, or someone acting as "next friend" of the veteran who is not considered as "sui juris". 38 CFR 3.155

(sui juris meaning having a legal right in their own)

Also this Section omn advocacy in the VBM again reminds us of Roberson and that ALL benefits a claimant might be entitled to should be "liberally construed" by a 'sympathetic reading' of the veteran's evidence and submissions.Roberson V Principi.

it sounds good but I feel a vet should clearly claim every condition they want service connect for either direct sc or secondary and that a good service rep will be able to identify those potential secondary disabilities when they file the claim.

Edited by Berta