VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Review Of Echo And C&p

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My regular private internist reviewed my Echocardiogram and my C&P exam for heart disease from the VA. The VA examiner said No Heart Disease. However, she missed the physical evidence of HBP that the echo showed. She missed it because she refused to see it, or was so incompetent that she could not see it. My doctor looked at the Echo and checked my blood pressure and said that I needed to be on HBP meds. The heart muscle had gotten thicker than normal. This means it is pumping harder which often indicates HBP. The C&P doctor was so focused on ruling out heart disease that she never even considered this. My VA Primary never reviewed the Echocardiogram I am sure. So a potential problem was missed twice by these people that call themselves doctors. Anybody out there who is just depending on the VA to save money I say you are risking your life. You may think you are getting world class care but you are not. They don't have time or the competence to give it to you. Since I have DMII I believe I will claim the HBP as secondary. If I had not claimed DMII they would never have SC'ed it. If I had not claimed each and every secondary condition of DMII they never would have SC'ed it. This makes four secondary conditions and working on cataracts as number five that the VA has just ignored. I have to be a medical Sherlock Homes. Every time I complain about them doing something like this they retaliate by like cutting of my pain meds. I will live long enough to ^%$% on their graves.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

John, did you see the words apical hypokenesis?

That is the term for thickening of the heart wall.

Also look for Cardiac hypertrophy. ( Enlarged heart)

HTN is a bad thing to have.

hs VA examiner needs to do their Job. The Echo does not lie. Medical Evidence outweighs the VA Doc.

Funny thing, The VA gave me a Nuclear Med stress test 3 weeks before I had a Heart cath and said I was fine.

Hang in there and keep on punching.

John

I have Concentric Left Ventricular Hypertrophy (LVH) that was discovered during an Echo administered by a non-VA cardiologist. Since I am SCed for a pacemaker at 10 percent, I have submitted for an increase due to the LVH which would be 30 percent.

I also am rated at 20 percent for DM II, but the heart SC is not related to that, at least in the decision made by the VA (I had heart trouble while on active duty).I hope you get the rating you deserve and that you receive better quality health care from the blankity-blank VA.

Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

My C&P says mild left ventricular hypertrophy and that the left atrium is mildly dialated. It says some atrial shunt can't be ruled out and that the right ventricle is mildly enlarged. The conclusion of the C&P exam is no heart disease. The examiner claims I had a stress test based on veteran's reported activity to include washing dishes, walking for 3-4 blocks and preforming all ADL's. The METs is an estimate based on the above activities. The diagnosis of problem was arteriosclerotic vascular disease and no evidence of heart disease. I think I am being outright screwed. I would appreciate feedback.

Re: "The examiner claims I had a stress test based on veteran's reported activity to include washing dishes, walking for 3-4 blocks and preforming all ADL's. The METs is an estimate based on the above activities." --John999--

That is the same type BS the VA used when limiting my rating to 10 percent. They did NOT give me a stress test to measure my METs; they "guesstimated" or used extra sensory perception (ESP) to state that my METs were above 7. Funny how they came up with that number since my stress test by a private doctor (more than 12 months prior to my claim) was 6.2 which rates 30 percent. That rating is still on appeal.

Part of my narrative: " Additionally, since December 2003, there are two pieces of evidence now, the 6.2 METs evaluation and the LVH finding that support a 30 percent rating. It seems that '...reconciling the various reports into a consistent picture so that the current rating may accurately reflect the elements of disability present .'--now portrays a picture involving multiple tangible medical views warranting 30 percent, and nothing tangible since 2003 that supports a 10 percent rating".

"Although my 2003 METs pre-dates my original claim by several years, it does provide a bookend along with the Echocardiogram (which directly bears on the level of disability) to support a higher rating, especially since no other tests were done between the two elements—past medical report and current finding. As stated above,the 'consistent picture' is tangible."

I'm not sure if I understand your medical situation, BUT if you have LVH, that warrants 30 percent in the "arrhythmia area"--I have arrhythmia. Ratings for Heart My situation might be different from yours as my heart arrhythmia problems (bradycardia) began while I was on active duty and are not secondary to DMII.Good luck,Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

John, did you get an EF rate too? What you have described is believable and unbelievable. If the VA diagnosed Arterioclerotic thats a heart disease, isnt it?

I found CFR 38 and 4.104 Schedule of ratings—cardiovascular system. Diseases of the Heart7005 Arteriosclerotic heart disease (Coronary artery disease): 4.104 very interesting...

Best to ya, guess you're gonna get cardio exam notes in order, private & va, sure helps. Found unshared results I didnt know a thing about in my va med file or smr's when searching. Then I scratch my head and wish private insurance for vets with disabilities, less combat injuries that deserve only the best Class A care.

cg

• HadIt.com Elder

LVH is heart disease. Left Ventricle enlarged. I am Sc'd for it. It is a key to a 30 percent rating. They are also supposed to rate the Hypertension as separate.

J