VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can A Veteran Apply For Compensation Due To A Scar After Prostate Surgery At A Vamc In Dc?

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

A fellow disable veteran had prostate surgery at a VAMC; Can he apply for compensation due to a 6inches scar? He would like the answer please.....Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

After an abdominal resection that left a 10 inch scar, I was told that the scar had to be visible to others. :blink:

Now, if your friend plans on going au naturel he might get comp...but then again the regs are ALWAYS applied differently for male vets. :blink:

Edited by SeattleShay

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, scars are ratable, however the prostate cancer would need to be SC'd.

SeattleShay, as for the 10" scar, I'd apply. Remember, that by "telling" you that, you didn't apply. You lose - they win. They are experts of misinformation. Scars are rated for pain, also.

pr

A word of caution about service connected scars.... the key word is "pain". I lost my bid for scar after service connected prostate surgery because I didn't specifically use or include the word "pain" or "painful" I spoke about how it "hurt" to be touched or brushed upon clothing etc. Good Luck.

Phillip

I did apply and was turned down for my scar.

I did complain of pain and the fact that I cannot wear bikini style underwear at all because the waist band rubs against the scar tissue causing pain and inflamation. Alas, I was told NOT to wear bikini briefs and that since the scar is not visible to anyone (unless I disrobe) nope, nada no way zippo.....

I do however get 10% sc for the really, and I mean really, disfiguring scars on my left ankle where I had 3 bothched surgeries with open reductions, pins and plates.

I suppose I could go back and tell them that the abdominal scar is hurting my way of making a living, since I have now taken up poll dancing and no one wants to tip a 57 year old with a 10 inch scar.................. :blink:

• HadIt.com Elder
Phillip

I did apply and was turned down for my scar.

I did complain of pain and the fact that I cannot wear bikini style underwear at all because the waist band rubs against the scar tissue causing pain and inflamation. Alas, I was told NOT to wear bikini briefs and that since the scar is not visible to anyone (unless I disrobe) nope, nada no way zippo.....

I do however get 10% sc for the really, and I mean really, disfiguring scars on my left ankle where I had 3 bothched surgeries with open reductions, pins and plates.

I suppose I could go back and tell them that the abdominal scar is hurting my way of making a living, since I have now taken up poll dancing and no one wants to tip a 57 year old with a 10 inch scar.................. :blink:

Seattle, I feel you should have filed an appeal. They won, again! Everything a VA employee says should be considered a "untrue" and all claims should be written and appealed, appealed and appealed. You might also get comp for underlying muscle damage, if there was any. I helped a vet get an increase for a scar on his thigh. I think he went from 30% to 50% for that but then we got him PTSD, w/TDIU, at the same time. jmo

pr