VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Psychiatrist

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, FINALLY we are getting the doctor to write a letter, not just progress notes, about my husband's current condition. The doctor says he doesn't know what to say. He wants me to tell him. I've gone over the rating schedule for 70%, and I plan to give him that so he can compare it to my husband, and then he can..... do what? Copy it and apply it to my husband with examples? I'll post the sample letter I've drafted for him, and you tell me what you think. Please help, this has taken almost a year to get the doctor to do this, so we need it to be accurate and in VA lingo! Thanks for all replies!

To Whom It May Concern:

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Somewhere in that letter it must state that his medical condition issues are a direct result or more than likely connected to in-servce duty. Just this guys opinion.Peace,Bill

• HadIt.com Elder
Okay, FINALLY we are getting the doctor to write a letter, not just progress notes, about my husband's current condition. The doctor says he doesn't know what to say. He wants me to tell him. I've gone over the rating schedule for 70%, and I plan to give him that so he can compare it to my husband, and then he can..... do what? Copy it and apply it to my husband with examples? I'll post the sample letter I've drafted for him, and you tell me what you think. Please help, this has taken almost a year to get the doctor to do this, so we need it to be accurate and in VA lingo! Thanks for all replies!

To Whom It May Concern:

I am so sorry, but could you tell me if your husbands disability is mental or something else.

I just can't keep up with all the different post.

For this I am sorry.

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

To Whom it May Concern:

Please be advised that Mr. XXXXXXX has been under my psychiatric care at the VA Savannah Civilian Based Outpatient Clinic since January 2008, though he was followed by Dr. XXXXX, M.D., prior to that. Mr XXXXXXX has been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) with anxiety and major depression, chronic type, related to combat experiences he withstood during the Gulf War. Mr. XXXXXXX endorses PTSD symptoms in all three core areas: 1) Re-experiencing Trauma- he has chronic flashbacks and nightmares of trauma, 2) Avoidance- he is emotionally numb and detached from others and does not socialize with others, he is anhedonic, to the point where he often never leaves the bed, and 3) Hyperarousal- Mr. XXXXXXX has difficulty falling and staying asleep, experiences night sweats during sleep, will "fight" in his sleep (to the point in which his wife has sustained bruises), has hypervigilance and hyperstartle responses to normal everyday stimuli. He has obsessional rituals that interfere with daily activities which include constantly checking doors and windows, staying by windows watching, sitting facing the door at all times, laying facing the doors and windows, etc. Furthermore, he has severe anxiety and is unable to relax, even with increased dosages of Paroxetine, he still has break-through panic attacks requiring the additional medication, Lorazepam. Mr. XXXXXXX suffers from spatial disorientation that requires the use of a GPS and cell phone so he may call his wife for help, keep in mind that the routes he often gets lost on are those that are driven daily. Mr. XXXXXXX has difficulty in maintaining relationships, including his wife. He has often told her to find someone better, tells her she shouldn't waste her time, and that even though he needs her, she shouldn't stay around because of that. Mr. XXXXXXX has difficulty dealing with stress, to the point of being unable to maintain gainful employment.

Mr. XXXXXXX is also being treated by Dr. Matt XXXXX for therapy, but has seen little improvement. Mr. XXXXXXX has also been prescribed numerous medication trials, but, unfortunately has had intolerable side effects to all of them thus far. He is currently on a medication trial with Paroxetine. He has been compliant with treatment plans which have included evaluation, medication management and follow-up, supportive and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Sincerely,

Dr. XXXXXXX, M.D.

Some of this was copied from another letter from a previous physician, so tell me what you think, will this be okay for me to tell him to write? He has treatment records to back all the statements up, I just need to know if this is in VA lingo enough! Thanks again!

Edited by SouthernBelle

• HadIt.com Elder

I am going to my post and see if I can locate the IME from the

Forensic Psychiatrist. Several on the site have pasted it to use

as a guideline.

Perhaps, you can use bits and pieces of it to help you.

Betty