VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Last Minute Advice For Monday Mental C&p ?

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Everyone,

Going for a 2nd C&P exam at the VARO. The first was in 2005. They rated 30% secondary to my back. My back is 20% ortho and 10% neuro at U.S. court of appeals. Will be getting a remand hopefully based on BVA not considering to IMEs. Anyway first rating was based on depression, daily panic attacks, demotivation. I appealed and now I am back again. One of the problems I think I had with my back was I don't show pain or emotions to strangers well. Hence the low ratings for 3 levels of DDD with epidural scarring and sharp shooting leg, buttock, and testicle pain with numbness.

Anyway since this 2005 exam my back and mental conditions have gotten 200% worse. I take 4-5 oxys for the pain and still have 3-4 panic attacks a day. My ativan has been increased once and my buspar twice without any change. I have been on Zoloft 60mg since 2002. In addition I cry a couple of times a day for no reason and have suicidal thoughts. I have been in therapy since March (got private insurance again) and my therapist wrote a letter stating I have multiple panic attacks / anxiety a day. Stated that my mental condition has a severe impact on my professional and social life. I also had my wife write a notarized letter stating all of the above in addition to my irritability, violence against walls and other non-human objects, 8 jobs in less than 4 years, some fire and some I left because I couldn't get along with co-workers or boss, the fact I am always yelling at her and the kids for no reason, the stress the drugs have put on our marriage because I can't get it up or finish if I can, lack of wanting to also, witnessed me crying for no reason, the stress all my sc appointments put on the family, and the fact I'm a social outcast.

Given the my past experience of not being able to open up to my true symptoms in front of the examiner I think I have to try and let it all out this time. I don't want this thing going to the BVA and then maybe the court again. I don't want to wait 4 years for any money. I know the evidence show at least 50% here.

Anyone else have to do the same to show their true symptoms? Any adive would be appreciated. I am scared I'm going to get screwed again.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I suggest you bring any IME/IMO that supports the claim this is for-with you and tell the C & P doc you have it if he/she wants to see it-

this could show the doc that whetever he/she says-you do hjave evidence to combat it-if their opinion is negative.

Also this might be one more way to get the Med evidence acknowledged again by the VA - IS this a TDIU C & P-if so I would also mention those meds and any side affects too from them that would render you unable to work.

You made a good point- and the Evidence HAS to be before the CAVC-

I too hope you wont get there at this point as you do have good evidence-

The CAVC decides on what is at hand, they dont accept new evidence-

they look for BVA errors that could cause a remand rather than a denial.

In some cases they grant the benefit.

Still- the CAVC only looks at the record on whatever claim the BVA denied that the CAVC NOA was filed on.

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing my husband did was have me in the room for his first C & P exam. He talked and looked at me, instead of the doctor, the doctor operated something like a moderator, and he asked questions, and my husband answered them to me. I added things that he didn't say, and that really helped him open up to reveal the symptoms. It also proved his inability to create relationships.

Edited by SouthernBelle

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't dress up like it is a job interview. Answer questions as if they add at home to the end of each question. Take your time. If asked about your childhood its best to answer that it was like everyone else's. Don't use 10 dollar words to describe your condition.

Good Luck from what you have posted you should do just fine.

Belle's suggestion to take someone with you is a good idea.

Edited by Pete53

• HadIt.com Elder

I should also point out that the first C & P doctor didn't want me in the room, and tried to argue that I shouldn't be there, to which I said, "Well, if you want any questions answered, you have to have me in the room, he won't talk otherwise!" My husband wouldn't budge on the topic of me being present.

• HadIt.com Elder

These mental C&P exams should make any vet nervous. Just do your best to do your worst. One way to go is to stay up all night before the exam and drink about ten cups of coffee. You should be sweating and shaking pretty good by then which always helps. You will probably be seen by an intern or resisdent. Don't hold back tears or try to be stoic. Just remember that you were OK before the military and that it was the military that made you crazy. You had a happy home life, loved your parents, got along well in school and after military life it all went to hell. No drinking or drugs before the military or arrests unless they can prove otherwise.