VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adverse Drug Interactions

Rate this topic

The VA prescribed Jardiance for my heart failure and diabetes. The side effect of the Jardiance caused me to have Fournier's Gangrene. As a result, my body had to be reconstructed from my knees to my navel. 4% survival rate to make it through all of the surgery and 12% to make it ninety days. That was in July 2020, and I survived!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@broncovet Could you consider taking Treysnonna comment and those after to a new topic (if possible)? This one is about 15 years old.

@treysnonna The VA gave me sertraline (Zoloft) to help address chronic muscle, joint, nerve pain, and fibromyalgia. It did not do much at lower doses, but was more effective at higher doses. However, despite ordering refills on time, the VA failed to send them to me in a timely manner. I ran out and didn't expect to feel like my head was about to explode from the worst migraine ever. I did not have organ failure (yet), but did wind up in the hospital with a heart attack caused by the migraine medication sumatriptan. When @Berta was here, she recommended I look at the medication insert and read the fine print. The print was so fine I could not read it, but the FDA web site had it online. I learned that there are certain precautionary diagnostic tests which should have been done to individuals with certain risk factors. I had most of the risk factors. I filed a claim and won SC for having a heart attack. I also filed an FTCA claim which I also won. I would recommend you look up the medical information for Zoloft and review contraindications, side effects, etc... to see if those are potentially related to his current issue. Yes, you can file SC for new disabilities caused by the side effects of medications used to treat SC disabilities.

@jamescripps2 It's amazing you survived through all that. You literally won the lottery of life. I hope you are doing well and continue to remain with us for a very long time.

2 hours ago, Vync said:

@broncovet Could you consider taking Treysnonna comment and those after to a new topic (if possible)? This one is about 15 years old.

@treysnonna The VA gave me sertraline (Zoloft) to help address chronic muscle, joint, nerve pain, and fibromyalgia. It did not do much at lower doses, but was more effective at higher doses. However, despite ordering refills on time, the VA failed to send them to me in a timely manner. I ran out and didn't expect to feel like my head was about to explode from the worst migraine ever. I did not have organ failure (yet), but did wind up in the hospital with a heart attack caused by the migraine medication sumatriptan. When @Berta was here, she recommended I look at the medication insert and read the fine print. The print was so fine I could not read it, but the FDA web site had it online. I learned that there are certain precautionary diagnostic tests which should have been done to individuals with certain risk factors. I had most of the risk factors. I filed a claim and won SC for having a heart attack. I also filed an FTCA claim which I also won. I would recommend you look up the medical information for Zoloft and review contraindications, side effects, etc... to see if those are potentially related to his current issue. Yes, you can file SC for new disabilities caused by the side effects of medications used to treat SC disabilities.

@jamescripps2 It's amazing you survived through all that. You literally won the lottery of life. I hope you are doing well and continue to remain with us for a very long time.

• 3 weeks later...

when i was taking metformin i found out that topiramate interacts severely...when i confronted the doctor about it i had to practically beg to stop taking metformin and try something else to manage my diabetes....

i am now off my diabetes meds- but as stated above, you have to take responsibility for your own health sometimes and not rely on others to always get it right...either bc of ineptness or mistakes- you are your own best health coach 😉

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you take insulin?  I was off my diabetic meds thinking my A1C was not that bad.   It got bad in a hurry.  Now I am on insulin and metformin.  I ended up in intensive care when my sugar went crazy.  It can happen in a few months.