VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

At What Stage Was Your Ssi Or Ssdi Approved

Rate this question

ltate90

Question

I THINK EVERYBODY THAT IS APPLYING FOR SSI OR SSDI WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AT WHAT STAGE WAS IT APPROVED. THIS TOPIC WILL GIVE PEOPLE SOMETHING TO READ AND CONFIDENCE ABOUT THERE HOPES OF BEING APPROVED. WAS IT APPROVED AT INITIAL, RECONSIDERATION, ALJ (HEARING), COURT OF APPEALS, FEDERAL COURT. LET US KNOW.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Heck yeah,...I got SSD at 30% with Voc rehab. Thank god we have sites like this or people just go on not knowing what their entitled to.

Have you applied? If not, why?

dh

I thought you had to be at least 70% unemployable for SSD. I stopped working in 2003 and I am 50% SC going to school online just so I can get Voc. Rehab $$. Is it possible to get SS if I am 50% enrolled in Voc Rehab. I have PTSD due to MST and Trygeminal Neuralgia (chronic painful nerve attacks that affect my face, requireing the use of percocet every 6 hours) I live in Hawaii (husband in military) and would like to apply if I could. Any advice.

I got approved it in a month and half which is the quickest you can get SSD. It was approved through disability determinations the first step after filing a claim for SSD. If they determine by their in house docs, then it goes to the main office for final adjudication. I think the key to it is having all your evidence and meeting the criteria for disability by their standard. I just used VA records and only had 30 percent at the time for PTSD. I also included in my VA records which they had to read as to why I thought I met the VA criteria as well. The standard they use for the VA and SSD are different they say but, they use the same DSM to do it with lol. So I'd say its the same when you explain it like that to a doctor. I also included a personal evaluation of myself and how i met the standard for disability based on my doctors notes. All these things they have to read to determine as evidence in your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

My SSI claim was approved after two yrs at an ALJ hearing.

SSDI was initially denied due to lack of credits.

The SSA claimed I had 20 credits in one month less of 40 quarters which left me short of qualifying for SSDI.

Delta from hadit.com, provided information that veterans who are short of credits can use their military time & earnings to help them qualify for SSDI.

I won my SSDI claim with this information 10 years after my SSI award. They had to pay me 10 years back pay for the deference since they didn't apply this the first time around.

They kept saying for over a year that they applied the military earnings, but when I insisted they send me how they did it in writing, they granted the SSDI award.

Never give up and never trust these agencies to do anything right.

Thank God for hadit.com & members like Delta.

Edited by allan

Court of appeals remanded my SSDI for a second ALJ hearing after wich it was approved. I had the oppisite experience of most vets, SSDI took longer than VA.

Wife was approved first time for SSDI.

Edited by timetowinarace

Our situation, I am a vet and so is my husband of 28+ years.1992 had a breakdown on his ship his sugar was elevated but not took into consideration stayed 3 days in observation. My husband served 17 and half years before finding out he was diabetic. His carrier was over. 1994 retired with a rating of 20%. Tried working jobs didn't last long due to bi polar episodes. By 1999 he had become more withdrawn only going to appointments if he was out of medication. He tried again in 2005/2006 to work again this didn't workout. 2006 he had his first stroke than a heart attach. 2008 two strokes resulting in total blindness in one eye. Deteriation has been rapid in the last 18 mo. 50-55% blockage of blood flow to both legs, limited use of arm due to stroke, stomach doesn't diguest without medication, thus food doesn't meet with insulin readings are out of control, now kidneys are failing will have a port put in for his dialysis next mo.New has problem swollowing needs medications crushed i help him bath, dress and change our sheets with accidents. Didn't know could be reevaluated till last year was granted 100% service connected. I left the work force to care for my husband. He now has home base health care. the team comes to our home, Nurse mental health and so on. Social Security has denied his claim stating not enough credits since his last qualifing period of 2003? have requested a hearing.