Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neck Question

Rate this question

bufloguy

Question

Just got the results back for an MRI on my neck, but I don't see the Dr. for several weeks. Could someone please let me know what the results mean? Thanks in advance!

FINDINGS: Alignment of the spine is normal. Thecal sac is normal at craniovertebral junction, Cl-2 and C2-3.

At C3-4, neural foramina are normal. No spinal stenosis is seen.

At C4-5, mild foraminal narrowing is present. There is a small posterior spur with mild protrusion of disc causing mild compression of thecal sac.

At C5-6, disc osteophyte complex noted because of cervical spondylosis, more prominent to the left causing mild compression of thecal sac. The right neural foramen is normal. Mile left foraminal narrowing is present.

At C6-7, large extruded disc is seen located posterior and central causing spinal canal stenosis and cord compression. Neural foramina have adequate size.

At C7-T1, small posterior and central disc protrusion is seen causing mild compression of thecal sac. Neural foramina are normal.

Impression:

1. Large extruded disc at C6-7 located posterior and central

causing cord compression.

2. Mild changes of cervical spondylosis at C4-5, C5-6 causing

mild compression of thecal sac.

3. Mild foraminal narrowing at C4-5 and mild narrowing of the

left C5-6 neural foramen.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would try to stay away from physical therapy. If you have a PT appointment between now and when you see this doc again, you need to let them know that your MRI shows spinal cord compression at C6-7. I would also call and get a appointment with my PCP as soon as possible; re: this week. I can't stress enough that is isn't one to be played with.

On the SC, they are going to hit you with lack of continuity of care. A lot of spine injuries may take decades to become full blown. You just need to find medical literature and a doctor who will put that in writing if they deny you.

Thanks for the advice rental guy! I will try and see my PCP. The rehab doc didn't seem to believe me about the pain when she examined me, now she might. I need to convince her that I need mri's for the rest of my back, but she seems to want to take everything slowly.

As far as the SC, I'm gathering evidence now. I was given P.T. in the base clinic, and I have been seeing chiropractors ever since. Any idea what the potential rating would be based on the MRI? Thanks!

bufloguy,

I am in a similar predicament as you are. I had disc replacement surgery back in 1999 in the c-5/c-6 area, having a cadavar bone replace the damaged disc. It took me over 5 months to get a waiver to join the Navy from MEPS back in 2000/2001. I did finally receive it, and all of it was duly noted in my military medical file. I was mobilized in 2006 for one year to Iraq, and what I had to endure damaged my neck again quite severely. I filed a VA claim in January of 2008, and went through doctors at the local air force base, civlian doctors, PT as well as several different types of injections in the afflicted area. Even though the injury was pre-existing I was awarded 20% for my neck due to my service in Iraq aggravating it, and received a tens unit from the VA which helps somewhat, as well as pain meds. PT is a temporary fix, if that in my opinion. One of the major things they will look at in your C&P is the mobility of your neck, and the pain level you are in when moving it up and dwon as well as side by side. Good luck and I sympathize with you.

• HadIt.com Elder
As far as the SC, I'm gathering evidence now. I was given P.T. in the base clinic, and I have been seeing chiropractors ever since. Any idea what the potential rating would be based on the MRI? Thanks!

The max rating for the cervical spine is 30% based on a forward flexion of the c-spine of 15 degrees or less. There are several different codes that you could be rated under, but I would push for dx code 5243, IVDS, as usual. The reason is because it allows for ratings based either on range of motion or prescribed bedrest. You can also be rated seperately in the thoracolumbar spine should a MRI show problems there as well. Also, all of your radiculopathies and secondary conditions can be rated seperately as well.

• In Memoriam

Bufloguy,

I am in the same situation. Turns out for me the Radiologist and Neuro both diagnosed the problem. I just wasn't looking for it. I was looking at the lower back injury for SC. I am almost afraid to disturb my claims as they have gone through the BVA and back to AMC.

This is an MRI slice of my neck. The injury was while active service when I injured my nose and 10 teeth. This head trauma also had my lower and upper back involved. You can see the V puncture in one of the vertebrae from the lower corner of the vertebrae below. It could explain my breathing problems and head aches that I have had all these years. I was told that the nasal problems were allergies. There is no way that my spinal cord injury is an allergy.

post-167-1228245080_thumb.jpg

I have recently become aware that this injury could be the root of so many of my physical problems. It wasn't until I read this post that I could put together a relationship. The VA neuro gave me a horse shoe shaped pillow to sleep on, and suggested that I should have an operation to put strips into my neck.

PT told me to press a cold golf ball into my neck shoulder and exercise with a rubber strap. I don't really think that the golf ball will help spread out my spine or help the spinal cord.

I think we should have a section, at Hadit, for people to share their VA Operation Experiences, doctors names omitted. These before and after operation experiences could help a vet decide whether to go for an operation or not. Maybe not.

Thanks rentalguy1 and jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

My MRI says mild desication of a disc in my lower back and mild arthritus. If the pain I have is from mild problems I would hate to see severe problems. Getting information on the surgical outcomes of VA operations would be a real horror story. Many times the surgery is mechanically good but the pain could be worse. Doctors think if you get your ROM back then everything is OK. Far from it. I would rather have reduced ROM that constant pain. Back surgery is a complete gamble. Some get better, some get worse and some remain the same.