Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chemical Stress Test

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am going next week to the VA to get a chemical stress test over a two day period. My PCP seems to be pretty good. She told me from my other stress test that I probably have a blockage in part of my heart artery. I have no pain or discomfort, but I am not waiting until I do. I am going to a private cardiologist anyway this week. I want to document all this in my VA medical records.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

John999

Jeez, I hope you get back to us on this test.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• HadIt.com Elder

What they are telling me is the next step is heart catherization if the stress test looks bad. I don't know because I have no symptoms, but my father died suddenly when he was quit young from a heart attack and he had no symptoms before he suddenly died. I don't want that to happen to me. My heart was beating almost 140 beats a minute, and I had no pain but I just gave out before they could get a better look at how my heart was functioning. If they kill me I will let you know.

• HadIt.com Elder

In April 2006 I had Chemical Stress test at Dallas VAMC and they said everything wah hunky dory.

In September 2006 I had a stress test at a Dallas Cardiologist and 5 days later I had a stent after they found 90% blockage. I asked the Cardiologist if blockage happened between April and September he said not likely. His comment is that VA has all the newest equipment but no one who knows how to use it.

I have been asked if I feel a lot better and the answer is no. I am glad that a 90% blockage was fixed.

The next thing is VA tries to take you off plavix within one year when the VA did their own study and know that when taken off plavix you have double the chance of dying in 90 days. Plavix is not a cheap drug.

Good Luck John I think that you are covering the bases here just don't expect to much from it.

As far as the test itself the worse part for me was getting the IV set up correctly.

I was uncomfortable during the test and I know that when the chemical was stressing I got fearfull but it was not enough to cause me panic problems.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I am going next week to the VA to get a chemical stress test over a two day period. My PCP seems to be pretty good. She told me from my other stress test that I probably have a blockage in part of my heart artery. I have no pain or discomfort, but I am not waiting until I do. I am going to a private cardiologist anyway this week. I want to document all this in my VA medical records.

john999,

I had a chemical stress done 2 weeks ago at the Sac. VA hospital (Mather). Had one guy on the machine, 1 doctor administering the dosage and a nurse outside the room with a crash-cart. The doc told me I could stop at any time I felt like. And a docotor is supposed to be present at all times of the procedure.

Anyhow, they kept asking me questions, if I was thirsty, dizzy, pains, short of breath, and others. I said no to all. They kept looking at each other the whole time, and saying I should feel something. I didn't experience any discomfort. They probably thought I was almost dead. But I was tired that morning and could have slept thru the test. Oh, and I'm 58, and age might come into play for the stress test. My heart was great, so I was ok'ed for prostate surgery. My test only lasted about 1 hour.

Just my story.

John, I had one of these test back in 2000 I think and I was first set for a chemical like you and shot up with the stuff and everything and then ended up doing the walking stress test after all. I was told after the test that my heart was strong and to start jogging or working out 30 minutes three days a week. In 2005 after trying to get heart pain SC I had a heart attack with damage leaving me with a LV of 41% and a rating at present of 60% secondary to DB2.

The only test I trust anymore is the cath cause that REALLY tells it all. Good luck on your test!

I too had the chemical test, I was to heavy and out of shape to get a good reading on the tread mill. I had very little discomfort and like some here, I only had one person conducting the test. The results showed I had severe eschemia of the heart and sent me to San Francisco from Reno NV to have a catherization done. What they found surprised everyone and made me very happy. The chemical test was a false positive. Other than minor pulmonary hypertension, my heart was in very good shape considering my weight, HBP, DMII, and other problems

If you can do the treadmill, do it, your less likely to have a false positive reading and there are usually more than one person present during the test. Don't forget to ask for a spotter to catch you should you stumble and fall. LoL

A catherization is really the best way I know of, which doesn't mean the only way, to test for any heart blockage. The tread mill check also gives you that, in your face, how out of shape you really are.

Rockhound Rider B)

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?