VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Increase

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I thank everyone that reads my posts and offers some advice. I thank god this service is here, because it helps you answer questions, that jsut nag at you.

My situation is this:

currently on TDRL (10% ptsd and 40% subluxation for both shoulders)-combined 40% for USMC as of 8/1/07.

current VA ratings 10% tinnitus, 10% ptsd and 40% shoulders (they decided my VA case before I got all the evidence, based on my TDRL letter and now I am combined 50% VA comp.

I was receiving both pay up until next month when my TDRL pay is being offset by the VA waiver (50%) amount of 770. I will rec the difference which is about 187 dollars.

I have a NOD in process, I had my C&P exam for ptsd and most likely will be rated either 50% or 70% ptsd. I asked for DRO review by de novo process.

My questions are the following:

1. When my VA rating is increased for ptsd, what should I do about CRSC? I was only given 10% at the time of my retirement/tdrl (which was bogus, but I took it at the time), so at the time I did not qualify for CRSC. My shoulders were hurt in service but not in combat. My ptsd is combat related from Iraq, which should qualify me correct for CRSC?

2. when my first reval for tdrl comes up, I should have no probelm getting transferred from tdrl to pdrl with rate increase, I imagine, based on the new evidence and rate increase by the VA.

3. If you are getting 70% combined VA rating and not CSRSC, then your retiree pay (CDRP) is offset, since its only 50% on TDRL, but if I have pDRL ratings changed, since my ptsd is far more serious then my shoulders right now, then I would qualify for CRSC pay in addition to the 70% VA money correct? I bleieve it is 2.5% of retiree pay x #yrs of service?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi jessejames, I think we jumped over here, from the other PTSD topic post. ( Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor, Need some help on this one ) I follow you though. This is the same vet your helping. He is lucky to have a good friend like you.

I reread your posts. I noticed the vet had a rank of sp4, a technical slot, in an eleven bravo world. What was his job in the Infantry? No problem. a RTO could be sp4 instead of a corporal in an infantry unit. I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for no CIB on his DD215. You said the records came from the VA, not the NPRC. The vet has to request the Brigade and company journals and daily logs for his stressor period from the NPRC himself, via you, or through his congress rep. From what you presented, he earned the CIB, and should be presented it by the Army. I know a service ribbon or medal and 25 cents won't get you a cup of coffee, these days, however, he needs to set the record straight, as well as sc comp.

11-XII-3

M21-1, Part VI October 28, 1998

Change 65

f. Review of Evidence

(1) If a VA medical examination fails to establish a diagnosis of PTSD, the claim will be immediately denied on that basis. If no determination regarding the existence of a stressor has been made, a discussion of the alleged stressor need not be included in the rating decision. (3 SEPARATE VA Psychiatrists C&P Exams have establshed PTSD from current symptoms related to Combat Duty in Viet Nam as related by Veteran) Jessejames

(2) If the claimant has failed to provide a minimal description of the stressor (i.e., no indication of the time or place of a stressful event), the claim may be denied on that basis. The rating should specify the previous request for information.

(3) If a VA examination or other medical evidence establishes a valid diagnosis of PTSD, and development is complete in every respect but for confirmation of the in-service stressor, request additional evidence from either the Environmental Support Group (ESG) or Marine Corps. (See Part III, paragraph 5.14.) (The VARO has made NO attempt to contact the ESG and it is THEIR duty to do so, even though the Veteran has made attempts and still waiting for records from Miitary Corrections...we have PROVEN so far that at least TWO Medals were left off his DD 214 and Military Corrections has refused to correct this with a DD 215....Thye own the Game and the Rule Book is ignored without allowing any input from Veteran, similiar to the VARO.) Jessejames)

(4) Do not send a case to the ESG or Marine Corps unless there is a confirmed diagnosis of PTSD adequate to establish entitlement to service connection. Correspondingly, always send an inquiry in instances in which the only obstacle to service connection is confirmation of an alleged stressor. A denial solely because of an unconfirmed stressor is improper unless it has first been reviewed by the ESG or Marine Corps.

Edited by jessejames

Hi jessejames, I think we jumped over here, from the other PTSD topic post. ( Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor, Need some help on this one ) I follow you though. This is the same vet your helping. He is lucky to have a good friend like you.

I reread your posts. I noticed the vet had a rank of sp4, a technical slot, in an eleven bravo world. What was his job in the Infantry? No problem. a RTO could be sp4 instead of a corporal in an infantry unit. I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for no CIB on his DD215. You said the records came from the VA, not the NPRC. The vet has to request the Brigade and company journals and daily logs for his stressor period from the NPRC himself, via you, or through his congress rep. From what you presented, he earned the CIB, and should be presented it by the Army. I know a service ribbon or medal and 25 cents won't get you a cup of coffee, these days, however, he needs to set the record straight, as well as sc comp.

Spec 4 is a "technical spot instead of a Corporal", I NEVER saw one Corporal in my Army Ninth Infantry Unit...EVERY one was promoted to Spec 4 instead of Corporal, I was an M-60 Machine Gunner and on combat missions daily, from Spec 4, I was promoted to Buck Sgt E-5. As I stated, my Original DD 214 had NO CIB, NO Purple Heart, NO Air Medal, and NO Good Conduct Medal---I caught mine in time because I was buying a house shortly after getting out and noticed my DD 214, he wasn't as lucky, he never examined his DD 214 until this late date and now no-one wants to do their job in helping him get it straight. I suppose over 50% of DD 214's from Nam had mistakes on them originally, most vets didn't care, only wanted as far away from Uncle Sam as possible because of the treatment received when coming home.

• HadIt.com Elder

I know what you mean jessejames , about helping Eleven Bravos. In the early 1980's, I volunteered at a Vietnam Veterans Outreach Center. "Help without Hassles" was our motto back then. Again, I commend you for reaching out and helping your friend. A long time ago, when I applied for a purple heart auto tag, I too had to get my DD214 corrected. The missing purple heart showed up on a DD215, in the mail one day, two decades after the fact. I never liked the idea of having to include an attachment to my DD214. Most people have no idea what a DD215 is... IMHO, although it's better than nothing, a DD215 just adds insult to the mistake. Good luck with your friend's Claim.

RE; SP-4 and 11B, I agree with you. I carried a PRC 25, and had a friend, Max, who humped a M-60 who was a Spec 4 also. We had a corporal in our unit, however, if I remember correctly, he got his two strips due to a demotion. Long story about ol' Sarge

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

hey ther, I got diagnosed with PTSD from my primary care physician and he sent me to a Pysch Dr. and he diagnosed me with the same. I am active duty and retire soon. Will this help my VA claim or will I have to prove it again to them why? I have a CAB and saw alot of action in Iraq as a convoy security element leader. any thoughts?

hey SPCTruckdriver,

from what I've learned through my own process and this website, is that the doctors notes/diagnosis will help your case. The VA will still want you to submit all your proof. So that means writing a stressor letter, basically recalling the events that you felt were traumatic and caused your ptsd from Iraq. The fact you have a CAB will help, as they won't ahve to necessarily prove your stressors, btu i could be wrong. I don't want to give you bad intel. Anywho, they will want all your diagnosis, treatment notes, ARMY medical records, copy of DD214 with CAB listed on it. Once you have all that material, I would say write a letter yourself stating your symptoms, examples of the symptoms and severity of them, and the ovverall effect on your life. In the VA's eyes, this is purely speculation, they don't care as much as if you have ptsd, but rather the severity of it. once you establish the fact of ptsd and severice connection, which it appears you will have no problem doing, then all they care about is current symptoms, not the past. YOu need to distguish that for yourself. You need to be attending follow up treatment as well. Once you start a claim, serioulsy plan on it taking a year to complete. I'm trying to give you good advice. Now that appears you have ptsd established, look at the different VA ratings. 100, 70,50, 30, 10, 0 for mental health (yes, ptsd falls under this). Make a list from your doctors notes and your own thoughts and compare them. this will give you a guage. PTSD is not a stable matter generally and usually flucuates, hence why the VA tends to lowball you at first.

in summation:

gather all medical records military and civiliian

contiue follow on treatment

file claim now on VONAPP (online way to submit your claim and easiest way).

find a VSO (vet service organization rep to help you out as well.

continue using hadit.com to find your answers...pretty much anything you need to know has been asked, so look around, be proactive.

get buddy letters or family letters, to write about how ptsd has impacted you andn any changes they have noticed with examples of before and after iraq.

I hope I helped. It also helps me as well get this stress out. no matter what keep fighting the good fight, chow to chow.

semper fi

USMC_HVEQ

hello all,

It's been a few weeks since I've had any info to share about my case. I was told last week that my case was "ready for decision", which is great news. I know that means the case is ready to go to the DRO for the de novo review, which I requested first, before my NOD. Anyways, fast forward today. I've rec'd a barage of emails from the VA appeals team looking to settle my case. My original award for ptsd was 10%, completely low balled me and what not. I asked for DRO de novo review, so this could be fixed. My c &P exam basically said I should be at 50%. My therapist notes and diagnosis put me at least 50%, if not 70% (could be debateable I guess, I felt I should be 70%). SOrry for all this background on my story, but the last bunch of post were about someone else, who chimed in on my post, so anywho....back to my issues...like I said I rec'd emails from them saying if we increase your ptsd to 50% will you drop your appeal? I was like well the whole reason I appealed was my EED, earlier effective date was back to june of 2005. I spoke to my VSO, such a rarity, and she relayed basically the info I was already getting from teh VARO. I let her think she was doing her "glorious " work for me....so I had mentioned to her the emails and what not. She called them back and what not, said she was friends with the DRO. I had told her and the appeals team at VARO, i would drop my appeal if my EED, was backdated to june 2005. They said they would sign off on it today. Any idea what are the next steps?

I think if I want the ptsd increase afterwards to 70%, it will be a much easier fight then getting the date all the way back, plus I need the money. I'm not working. I've already been counseled on TDIU and what not. I'm still young enough to work, but it does open up the option for me in the future.

I am currently at 50% combined rating and this will now move my combined rating up to 70%. Once i agreed my EED, then i said it's worth it to accept it now. I also have a new claim, started in November for Hypertension. I have over 35 readings in my medical file, with diagnosis of HTN in my files. My average readings were 153/93. So potentially could get another 10%, which would put me into 80% but thats something i can wait to worry about.

My current coditons as of now:

shoulders 20% each so 40% bilaterally total major

10% tinnitus

10% ptsd, whic now willb e increased to 50%

0-10% for HTN claim (in works)

I think by accepting this claim right now, it woll help out a lot of things for me. It will help me out financially right now. It will help get the newest claim about HTN going. It will also help me out since I have a TDRL review Doc appt in March. This will help get my CRSC pay increased from 10% to 50%. i was also ch 61 retired for my shoulders, so it will increase that overall rating to 70%. It will depend on PEB if they finalize it, or contiue my tdrl. I will keep you posted.

please let me know your thoughts. I apologize for the ramblings. I'm contained with a lot of emotion right now. I'm trying to view it from all sides. Now I can focus on my treatment more and jsut getting my life back. I've been consumed by this in my head for last 3 months, agonizing over it day and night. Searching for answers and doing research. I've become really informed. I think I can help out buddies now.

did I make any mistakes by withdrawing my appeal?

thank you and semper fidelis

thank you and semper fidelis