Usps Certified Priority Mail

Rate this question

Wings

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

The AMC gave me 30 days to send additional comments and/or evidence to their Rating Decision (denial). I had written a 5 page "Rebuttal", but decided instead, that I'd sooner send a formal Notice of Disagreement (NOD). SO I changed the subjject from Rebuttal to NOD ...

At the US Post Office, I sent 2, letter sized envelopes (pre-made by the USPS).

The first copy I addressed to the AMC; the second copy to the BVA.

I paid for both: Prioroty Mail and Certified mail, which was supposed to get there in 2-3 days! It's been 8 days, and counting!

I'm really glad I decided to send the NOD, rather than the rebuttal, because the 30 day limitation was up as of yesterday!

Now the question: what are the VA Regulations on filing deadlines or statute of limitations? If I have proof of mailing within that time frame, does it count? What if the Post Office doesn't get my package there on time, but I have proof I mailed early???? ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Shane -what about faxed NODs etc-

I mentioned in another topic today that I dont have a Fax machine (but I sure used one a lot in the late 1990s).

Today I found that without any type of fancy hookups or downloads that FaxZero.com will send 2 free faxes (PDF or DOC file)to any fax machine.

I whipped off scathing faxes to Seattle VARO and the AMC.

I have a confirmed delivery already.

Since all VAROS etc have fax numbers-this bypasses those idiots in the VA mail rooms but I do not know if a NOD can be faxed and expect to be considered as filed on time- do you know if it can?

PS they said at FAx Zero.com that one can send up to 2 faxes a day for free. I feel like I have a new toy.

And I have fax numbers for numerous VA personnel-duh I should have faxed them long ago before VA 'faxed' me if you catch my drift.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder
Shane -what about faxed NODs etc-

I mentioned in another topic today that I dont have a Fax machine (but I sure used one a lot in the late 1990s).

Today I found that without any type of fancy hookups or downloads that FaxZero.com will send 2 free faxes (PDF or DOC file)to any fax machine.

I whipped off scathing faxes to Seattle VARO and the AMC.

I have a confirmed delivery already.

Since all VAROS etc have fax numbers-this bypasses those idiots in the VA mail rooms but I do not know if a NOD can be faxed and expect to be considered as filed on time- do you know if it can?

PS they said at FAx Zero.com that one can send up to 2 faxes a day for free. I feel like I have a new toy.

And I have fax numbers for numerous VA personnel-duh I should have faxed them long ago before VA 'faxed' me if you catch my drift.

Berta, Electronic submissions may be the answer, although I am not sure how it can be supported by law. Not only is there FAX alternatives to the USPS, but also "digital signatures" assure the senders identity. Do not forget that every VA written submission must be sent as "sworn", and that the veteran's signature attests to the authenticity of the statement. There are rules and regs on what kinds of signature are considered acceptable. The CFR would have to be ammended to include secure electronic communications, and electronic signatures. Maybe there was some discussion around this issue when the VONAPP went digital. We'd have to look to the Fed Reg for this information. If you are sending FAXES, how are you going to SIGN those documents? You have to fend off any accusations of Fraud.

It does sound like the VA Mailroom (at the BVA/AMC they apparently have their own post office!), the future of electronic communications from the veteran to the AOJ may be just what the doctor ordered. The VA Mailrooms need to be cleaned up or removed!! ~Wings

Edited by Wings

The Track and Confirm page at the Post Office website can also be updated. After a certain amount of time it only shows when it was delivered. But you can click on a link to restore the details - and they will pull up the details of when the package was accepted at the Post Office - and send you an email with the update. It usually only takes a couple of hours to a day.

Also - if you did NOT get a Return Receipt at the time of mailing - the Post Office can provide you with a copy. They cost more if you get them later, but you CAN get them. Take the tracking number to a Post Office and they can pull up a copy of the signature card and print you one through their system.

I don't usually pay for return receipt at the time of mailing something certified - as it costs extra - and in most cases there is never a problem - and if there is a problem, the document can be obtained at the Post Office, for a fee. I THINK you can get the record from their system for up to two years.

ANOTHER thing you might want to consider with your case at the moment is filing a complaint with the US Postal Inspection Services.

Link to online complaint form:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MLNtRcvd.aspx

You can file a complaint for mail theft, mail tampering and vandlism, or mail received without contents.

"Congress empowered the Postal Service "to investigate postal offenses and civil matters relating to the Postal Service." Through its security and enforcement functions, the Postal Inspection Service provides assurance to American businesses for the safe exchange of funds and securities through the U.S. Mail; to postal customers of the "sanctity of the seal" in transmitting correspondence and messages; and to postal employees of a safe work environment."

"If you believe your mail was stolen, report it immediately to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector. You'll be asked to file a formal complaint using PS Form 2016, Mail Theft and Vandalism Complaint. By analyzing information collected from the form, Postal Inspectors may determine whether your problem is isolated or part of a larger mail theft problem in your neighborhood--and it may help Inspectors locate and apprehend the thieves."

Items sent through the US mail are supposed to be "protected" by the US mail system.

Maybe vets need to start using the Mail Theft and Tampering complaint form REGULARLY!! (They look for PATTERNS)

The Postal Inspector SHOULD investigate to see if the mail was stolen or tampered with BEFORE it got to the agency, or AFTER.

Maybe we should start pulling the US Postal Inspector into the problem.

We are sending confidential, personal, sensitive information through the US Postal System. If it is being stolen or tampered with - we have the right to ask that it be protected. If our records show the mail was received, but the VA seems to be missing some of the documents - where did those documents go?

This is especially important as the VA regulations pretty much REQUIRE us to use the US mail to send documents. (A US postmark or other evidence of sending the item through the US mail is accepted by the VA as evidence of the document being sent. Proof of sending through another means (UPS, Fedex, etc.) is sometimes not accepted by the VA because Congress said "US MAIL."

So - in your spare time - you might want to see if you can get the Postal Inspector to investigate what happened to the documents you sent through the mail.

Free

Free -good info-

I just scanned ,to prove the VA has destroyed my evidence- 53 USPS tracking slips- the green ones-to enclose as evidence to the IG.

I not only have these little green USPS slips, I have the actual USPS tracking info for each slip-that you described- that I printed from their tracking link at USPS.

I have so much mail here to send due to my recent egregiously erroneus VA decision-that maybe some will be sent with just the PO Proof of mailing receipt-I think that receipt is cheaper than USPS priority and the PO stamps it as received and mailed.

Think Outside the Box!

• HadIt.com Elder
The Track and Confirm page at the Post Office website can also be updated. After a certain amount of time it only shows when it was delivered. But you can click on a link to restore the details - and they will pull up the details of when the package was accepted at the Post Office - and send you an email with the update. It usually only takes a couple of hours to a day.

Also - if you did NOT get a Return Receipt at the time of mailing - the Post Office can provide you with a copy. They cost more if you get them later, but you CAN get them. Take the tracking number to a Post Office and they can pull up a copy of the signature card and print you one through their system.

I don't usually pay for return receipt at the time of mailing something certified - as it costs extra - and in most cases there is never a problem - and if there is a problem, the document can be obtained at the Post Office, for a fee. I THINK you can get the record from their system for up to two years.

ANOTHER thing you might want to consider with your case at the moment is filing a complaint with the US Postal Inspection Services.

Link to online complaint form:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MLNtRcvd.aspx

You can file a complaint for mail theft, mail tampering and vandlism, or mail received without contents.

"Congress empowered the Postal Service "to investigate postal offenses and civil matters relating to the Postal Service." Through its security and enforcement functions, the Postal Inspection Service provides assurance to American businesses for the safe exchange of funds and securities through the U.S. Mail; to postal customers of the "sanctity of the seal" in transmitting correspondence and messages; and to postal employees of a safe work environment."

"If you believe your mail was stolen, report it immediately to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector. You'll be asked to file a formal complaint using PS Form 2016, Mail Theft and Vandalism Complaint. By analyzing information collected from the form, Postal Inspectors may determine whether your problem is isolated or part of a larger mail theft problem in your neighborhood--and it may help Inspectors locate and apprehend the thieves."

Items sent through the US mail are supposed to be "protected" by the US mail system.

Maybe vets need to start using the Mail Theft and Tampering complaint form REGULARLY!! (They look for PATTERNS)

The Postal Inspector SHOULD investigate to see if the mail was stolen or tampered with BEFORE it got to the agency, or AFTER.

Maybe we should start pulling the US Postal Inspector into the problem.

We are sending confidential, personal, sensitive information through the US Postal System. If it is being stolen or tampered with - we have the right to ask that it be protected. If our records show the mail was received, but the VA seems to be missing some of the documents - where did those documents go?

This is especially important as the VA regulations pretty much REQUIRE us to use the US mail to send documents. (A US postmark or other evidence of sending the item through the US mail is accepted by the VA as evidence of the document being sent. Proof of sending through another means (UPS, Fedex, etc.) is sometimes not accepted by the VA because Congress said "US MAIL."

So - in your spare time - you might want to see if you can get the Postal Inspector to investigate what happened to the documents you sent through the mail.

Free

Free, Thank you! I will submit the "PS Form 2016, Mail Theft and Vandalism Complaint" on Tuesday. ~Wings

Wings,

They also have a link to report lost or delayed mail:

https://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bin/hdus...mPpj&xssl=1

If you fill out the form - someone is supposed to look into it. They usually get ahold of the Post Office and have them try to find out where it is - and contact you.

It hasn't helped them find the two certified letters of mine they have lost (one to the VA and one to SSA) - but I still keep filling out the email and making them look for it again.

They do have to follow up with these things - so it does help promote accountability somewhat.

BUT - the first thing they do is ask you to call the recipient to see if they got it - under that grand theory of "Oh..they probably got it -- we just might have forgot to scan it, or maybe they didn't sign for it like THEY should have -- but I am sure we delivered it - NOT our fault - you just can't trust the other guys.... but call them and ask if they got it..."

ACK!!!!

Free

Free, Thank you! I will submit the "PS Form 2016, Mail Theft and Vandalism Complaint" on Tuesday. ~Wings
Think Outside the Box!

• HadIt.com Elder

Faxing may be convenient but there is no proof the VA got it. Berta has them dead to rights and she will win.

Edited by Pete53

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.