Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Got The Widow's Month Of Death Payment!

Rate this topic

Free

Congratulations!!

I too want to thank you for giving me my VA education.

Happy Trails

Paul

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Even after 2 years and a big fight it is still the principle that the VA should have never taken it.

Congrats

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Finally- and yet that cash is not worth what it was when they should have sent it-

and of course no interest added from the VA.

If interest could be added to money they owe us- that could make the claims process go faster-

maybe-

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• 2 months later...
After two years of requesting it - I finally got the Surviving Spouse's Month of Death payment this Friday....

However, I did contact my Congressman - and asked him to check on it. He hasn't received their response yet, but I got my check this week.

So I imagine they will now write him a response that excuses the whole delay away as a "glitch" - and I doubt they will address the fact that I have been requesting this payment for TWO YEARS.

But the good news is - I DID get the check!!!! Finally.....

Hey! Wouldn't it be nice if WE could put a hold on funds in the VA's bank account until they pay us, like they can put a hold on ours?

Free

Follow up - I was amazed, but the letter the VA sent my Congressman actually ADMITTED that the VA was in error and had not processed the month of death payment correctly. They didn't explain it away. They actually acted accountable.

That amazed me, and impressed me.

.... but several weeks later, the VA sent ME a letter (based on all my earlier inquiries that I had not received the Month of Death payment). They totally ignored the fact that the inquiries were about the MONTH of DEATH payment. They totally ignored the fact that the payment had been sent and the situation resolved. Instead, they sent me a copy of the cashed check for the BURIAL CLAIM, to show me that the check had been cashed.

That DID NOT amaze me. (Nor did it impress me.)

I am glad I went the Congressional Inquiry route on the Month of Death claim - as without that ALL I most likely would have received was the copy of the burial check to show me the month of death claim had supposedly been paid -- leading to more time and energy wasted playing games to try to get it resolved.

But as it WAS resolved, the continuance of the game on the VA's part is certainly a waste of time that could be better spent caring for those who have borne the battle... and their widows... and their orphans.

Free

Think Outside the Box!

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA can be fairly consistent can't they?

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use