Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling Ashamed, But Must Ask.

Rate this question

livingrock21

Question

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not, if I'm not please move to the correct place.

As you can tell by the title, I never thought I'd be asking the questions I'm about to be asking, but am out of options.

Right now, I'm living with extended family, and my family could be on the street at any moment. I'm very greatful for the opportunity that I've been given to live here, but the living situation has been getting worse, and seems to be declining very quickly.

As some of y'all may know, I currently have an appeal in with the VA, and have been hoping that went through. If they'd just adjucate the damn thing like they should, I wouldn't be in this position.

Alright, enough beating around the bush. I'm currently at 40%, and am also recieving SSDI for my service related conditions(only income I have comming in). I've also applied for TDIU, but that wasn't very long ago. If they'd hurry up and adjucate that also, I wouldn't be asking what I'm about to ask.

I recently came across the HUD's rental voucher program. What income(VA compensation/SSDI) do they use as qualifications? I know they take 30% of your income, and supplement the rest of the rent/utilities. I live in PA, I wonder how long it will take. I'm not even sure what else to ask. If there's anything else I should know, please let me know. I'm also thinking about applying for food stamps. My family is hardly living. I know some vets are making less and surviving, but I accumulated bills while active duty(was able to easily pay them then, also I would have stayed active but was medically outed), and now it seems by the time I'm done paying bills, there's no way I could even afford a card board box(there's left over money, but no where near enough to afford a place, and all the bills that come along with it).

Like I said before, it's taken me awhile to come to terms with everything, but the way I figure it. If the government(VA) would adjucate my claim properly, I wouldn't be asking the government for help(HUD).

Thanks for your time, and any info is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Edited by livingrock21

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Two pieces of advice here. The first one is to the veteran who is on SSD for his service connected disability. Visit your Social Security office tomorrow and request in writing that they send copies of your medical records to V.A. in support of your pending claim. Do not call V.A. and tell them those records are being mailed to them because there is always the possibility that they make a decision based on the evidence now of record. I dealt with V.A. for years and ever time I sent them new and material evidence on a claim they would make a decision based on the evidence of record and backdate the decision a few days before the new evidence. I think this happened about 3 times, honestly. The second piece of advice is for veterans living in poverty who are receiving Medicare benefits. If you look in your Medicare handbook you would find information on income and asset limits for state programs that pay Medicare part B premium. A few years ago that premium was about $70.00 monthly but now I think it is close to $100.00 monthly. I'm sure that to veterans struggling on the edge of poverty that money would help each month but before applying you have to consider how this extra money will affect your eligibility for other programs like HUD housing, section 8, food stamps, low income energy assistance, V.A. pension, and programs which provide reduced cost phone service to low income people.

I'm not clear what the state limits are, I live in Texas.

I manage a large apartment complex for seniors and those with disabilities (low income HUD/Sec 8 housing) and I do know that the Medicare Part B premium is now $96.40 per month (deducted from Social Security monthly pension for non low-income receipients).

The maxiumum allowable gross income to qualify for HUD/Section 8 housing (per single adult household) is now $21,450.00 per yr. There are allowable deductible medical expenses and government allowances for handicap/diabled persons but that is an adjustment to gross income and while it affects (lowers) the rent for a resident, it is still true that one must qualify on gross income alone (before allowances are applied).

For those not familiar with HUD/Section 8, the rent is based on your adjusted gross income and is calculated at 30% of adjusted gross.

Judy

• HadIt.com Elder

Judy:

Can a pension veteran get help to rent a home in the country. I am talking about East Texas and the Veteran gets a little under 12,000. I did check him out on the computer and he would qualify for food stamps? Only 14 dollars a month but I hear if someone is on food stamps they can get medicaid and other benefits.

Sorry for sounding dumb but all the paper and numbers and gov't speak is very confusing.

He wants to rent a house in the country with about 5 acres in a rural place.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I highly recommend following the link, thanks peaceindia.

Yes, he can. However, that being said, he would need to apply via the "voucher system" and once he obtains a voucher (there is usually a long waiting list) then he must find a landlord who is WILLING to accept that Section 8 "voucher" and submit to the inspection of the property (required by HUD). In other words, he cannot rent just "any" rental property that is available.

Hope this helps, as always, things are never simple with the government.

Good Luck,

Judy