Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Have anyone on Hadit.com rated for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease for S-C? What questions do the VA doctors asked you and what test do they do on you? Please help a Veteran

DAV IU 100%

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They pretty much check for symptoms although they can run other tests that involve looking down your throat. Sometimes they can fix it by putting a baloon device down your throat and opening it up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Have anyone on Hadit.com rated for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease for S-C? What questions do the VA doctors asked you and what test do they do on you? Please help a Veteran

I just had a test for it actually. They have you stand on a platform and have you drink different liqiuds, carbination and something that is very thick. While you are doing this they have some type of exray on the entire time and the doc is viewing everything as it goes down your throat etc. They place you in different positions, first standing up then you lean on this platform and it lies you down for more discusting liquids and viewing. Other than this test the only thing that was asked was if I was expiriencing any type of heart burn etc. Hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

I moved this topic to this forum where it can get more attention.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I had the balloon thing done 2 years ago and need it done again.

I don't have any idea if it can get rated. I am SC for IVDS/DDD which in my mind MIGHT be part of the cause, but to get a Dr. to actually write a statement saying that sounds pretty far-fetched to me.

Either way, get the test and if they recommend it, do the balloon thing. 2 years of not gagging on water or almost choking on bread was wonderful. I'm calling my GI doc tomorrow actually.

Oh, just for info I'm 39 and this has been going on for at least 6-7 years.

Edited by Quint7

I was awarded 10% for acid reflux for seven years until my doctor told me my symptoms were more on the line of IBS and I got a copy of my records and found out that I was diagnosed with IBS before I was awarded acid reflux so I put in a claim for increase and was increased to 30% for IBS so I am currently appealing the effective date since VA had evidence I was diagnosed with IBS. Sorry for the length but here you go. Hope this helps.

Here is the reg:

7346 Hernia hiatal:

Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss and hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia; or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health 60

Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health 30

With two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation of less severity 10

Here is the VA Exam request:

<H3 align=center>Digestive Conditions, Miscellaneous</H3>

<H4 align=center>(Tuberculous Peritonitis, Inguinal Hernia, Ventral Hernia, Femoral Hernia,

Visceroptosis, and Benign and Malignant New Growths)</H4>

Name: SSN:Date of Exam: C-number:Place of Exam:

A. Review of Medical Records:

B. Medical History (Subjective Complaints):

1. Describe all hernia surgery and results.

2. For malignancy, state type of treatment, dates of treatment, including last date of treatment if it has ended.

3. For peritoneal tuberculosis, state date of diagnosis, treatment, and date on which inactivity was established.

C. Physical Examination (Objective Findings): Address each of the following and fully describe current findings:

1. For inguinal or ventral hernia, state whether reducible, how well supported by truss or belt, and whether irremediable or inoperable.

2. For ventral hernia, state size of hernia, extent of diastasis of recti muscles, status of muscles and fascia of abdominal wall.

3. All residuals of malignancy, including residuals from treatment.

D. Diagnostic and Clinical Tests:

1. Include results of all diagnostic and clinical tests conducted in the examination report.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

I doubt you will get an earlier rating. Your effective date is from the date you filed your claim. You had one year to appeal and you let that lapse. The DVA only granted what you asked for. They rarely give you ratings for issues you don't ask for.

I was awarded 10% for acid reflux for seven years until my doctor told me my symptoms were more on the line of IBS and I got a copy of my records and found out that I was diagnosed with IBS before I was awarded acid reflux so I put in a claim for increase and was increased to 30% for IBS so I am currently appealing the effective date since VA had evidence I was diagnosed with IBS. Sorry for the length but here you go. Hope this helps.

Here is the reg:

7346 Hernia hiatal:

Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss and hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia; or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health 60

Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health 30

With two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation of less severity 10

Here is the VA Exam request:

<H3 align=center>Digestive Conditions, Miscellaneous</H3>

<H4 align=center>(Tuberculous Peritonitis, Inguinal Hernia, Ventral Hernia, Femoral Hernia,

Visceroptosis, and Benign and Malignant New Growths)</H4>

Name: SSN:Date of Exam: C-number:Place of Exam:

A. Review of Medical Records:

B. Medical History (Subjective Complaints):

1. Describe all hernia surgery and results.

2. For malignancy, state type of treatment, dates of treatment, including last date of treatment if it has ended.

3. For peritoneal tuberculosis, state date of diagnosis, treatment, and date on which inactivity was established.

C. Physical Examination (Objective Findings): Address each of the following and fully describe current findings:

1. For inguinal or ventral hernia, state whether reducible, how well supported by truss or belt, and whether irremediable or inoperable.

2. For ventral hernia, state size of hernia, extent of diastasis of recti muscles, status of muscles and fascia of abdominal wall.

3. All residuals of malignancy, including residuals from treatment.

D. Diagnostic and Clinical Tests:

1. Include results of all diagnostic and clinical tests conducted in the examination report.