VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao & Dm@ Ref Extract

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The attached extract from the VBA/DOD DM Treatment Guide documents a medical fact often ignored in decisions denying service connection for conditions caused or aggravated by DM2. Many of these conditions commonly occur as first symptoms of a case of DM2, well before a "formal DM2 diagnosis is made.

extract_critical.txt

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Great reference Chuck !

DMII doesn't kill anyone-but it's complications do.

The words diabetes or DMII never appeared in my husband's VA medical records.

My daughter insisted I re-open the death claim in 2003 and I was shocked by the evidence I found-

by then I had become more aware of DMII from AO due to the fact it had gone on the Presumptive list and more and more DMII vets were filing claims.

He showed documented symptoms of diabetes mellitus for the entire 6 years of his VA medical care.

Those symptoms-untreated and undiagnosed as due to diabetes caused his totally disabling strokes and heart disease.

I succeeded in the FTCA case by proving the VA had misdiagnosed these conditions- but I never knew what really caused them until I re-opened the claim.

The ADA around the same time started to publish extensive info and even had commercials on diabetes.

It is one of the most misdiagnosed conditions in America-often not diagnosed at all until someone has a major stroke or heart attack and then the blood work and testing reveals the diabetes.

I think every veteran should be given a free diabetes glucose monitor from the VA to use daily and keep a diary of their readings.

Periodic glucose readings and even the HBIAC test do not always reveal hyperglycemic activity from the pancreas which-left untreated- can lead to deadly complications.

A vet could sit around a VA clinic lobby for an annual blood work check up and get hungry and by the time their glucose is read -it shows up low and no cause for alarm.

The VA HBIAC test is more reliable (if the machines they use for these tests are regularly calibrated)

The veteran's own documented symptoms- which in my husband's case at first were one unusual manifestation of DMII-a dental problem revealing high glucose in his saliva-

can be the only way that VA will properly consider and diagnose this disease.

Visual problems, circulations problems, PN, skin problems,

serious heart disease and brain damage from TIAs and strokes are some of the main results of diabetes.

It took over 6 years for me to get a proper diagnosis from VA-

the award from the BVA is that first time VA recognized that the medical records revealed DMII as cause of my husband's death.

The VA could have saved his life with a few simple tests in 1988 that would have revealed he had DMII from AO.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get into it, it's always better to clobber your opponent with their own club!

The attached extract from the VBA/DOD DM Treatment Guide documents a medical fact often ignored in decisions denying service connection for conditions caused or aggravated by DM2. Many of these conditions commonly occur as first symptoms of a case of DM2, well before a "formal DM2 diagnosis is made.