Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Bothersome Trend

Rate this question

purple

Question

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

{off soapbox now}

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

i strongly disagree purple, filing those claims are not all petty. i don't find it a bothersome trend, and i find the term bothersome trend just a bit insulting. i am lucky that my meds don't cause me any serious side effects. however, my health has worsened and i will be getting new meds and they will be trying different things. i hope those don't have any adverse side effects.

so basically your beef is that filing for side effects of a drug, wastes time at the va. i don't agree. you are entitled to your opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

Everything you put in your body has some sort of negative affect with the exception of water derived from arctic ice that was drilled from 300 meters and brought to the surface to melt in your glass. Some rich guy did just that so he could claim to have drank the purest water, hence 300 meters was before the industrial age.

It has been my experience that balancing both the positive and negative affects of my meds is a juggling act and it needs consistent adjustments. The key for me is that if the combination of meds work and reduce my pain and depression than its well worth the side affect. Should one claim the side affect of drugs taken for S/C conditions? I see purple's point, however, obesity is well a big problem for most Amreicans, would you say that every obese person stop eating to loose weight? No, one must something to stay alive. If one needs a substance to live and carry out somewhat of a normal life and that subtaince has side affects then its perfectly plausable to claim the side affect.

Quote:

Many of you here who know me,

(Many here, may now, know you much better)

know that I tend to say what I believe.

(Could you possibly be wrong?....Has anyone else agreed with you?)

Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

(More thought to this issue, should and just maybe, would have allowed you cease typing at this point.)

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects".

(Where is your concern for the "several folks"? Do you know the "effects" and how the needed medication impacts each of us?)

Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med?

(Many wish it were just that easy. Many have, "ask for a different med", without the "side effects" and found there is none that can help.)

You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

(Yes many of us "have to put up with side effects".....Because YOU don't put up with them doesn't mean we all are that fortunate.)

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

(Your "believe" is askew and in need of a complete realignment with reality, related to effects of medication on veterans.)

{off soapbox now}

(I just stepped down as well)

But what if the meds you're on are the only meds you can take?

Jay

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

{off soapbox now}

Also, the side effects from some medications are worse than the disease itself. Two meds I currently take cause chronic diarrhea. I have asked to take different meds but the doctor says my condition is being controlled well and switching drugs would be real risky. I leave all these decisions up to the doctor since that's what he gets paid for.

Jay

{off soapbox now}

Do you know how many side effects are on just one typical medication? 20? 30?

Name one medication out there that will have "NO SIDE EFFECTS" on the medication info.

Jay

Even in the civilian world, all the possible side effects are not fully explained. That is why they print out those full page sheets of side effects. As for interactions, I've recommended so many times on here for vets to google a "drug-drug interaction" site and input all of their meds. I've even gone so far as to print the info out and take it to the VA pharmacy and show it to them!

Being proactive when it comes to your meds is important.