Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Bothersome Trend

Rate this question

purple

Question

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

{off soapbox now}

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

But it is the same as being treated by a civilian provider. A doc is a doc.

Here's a common example. Many have side effects of pain meds. I'm not doubting this at all, those are some strong meds. Since your in the VA system you think you have a way to get more $$ by filing a claim because of the side effects.

If you went to a civilian doc...same pain...was given the same meds; had the same side effects....what would you do?

Why is everyone scared to answer this question?

And yes, you can ask your docs for different meds. Do your own research on line. Learn about your condition(s), then learn about the meds to treat the condition(s)...research side effects of all the meds and interactions with what you already take. Of course it takes work....but it's worth it. Go into your next appt with a short list of possible meds to change to.

Don't allow the doc to use the excuse that it "isn't the in VA formulary" because they can get anything if they request it--they just have to do some extra work.

This is what I do to minimize my side effects. I have one med with undesireable side effects, but it takes care of the condition....so I don't mind a bit; there aren't any alternatives.

I will answer that question with a question so I understand what you're saying.

Are you saying the situation would be different for a vet if he or she was seeing a private doctor?

HOW?

Purple said:

If you went to a civilian doc...same pain...was given the same meds; had the same side effects....what would you do?

Why is everyone scared to answer this question?

Your doc (civilian or VA) is in a much better position to know about possible side effects and weigh the risks/benefits with each prescription.

As with most medications, they are not risk free, that is why they are called prescription medications. If there were no risks and no side effects, and only benefits, then a prescription would not be required.

Most of us have to tolerate the risk of side effects in order to enjoy the potential benefits of the medications.

Just ONE example:

Almost all antidepressants, except for Wellbutrin, have adverse sexual side effects in men. So, we often have to choose whether we want to go without sex, or be depressed. Neither is a really good choice. So, most docs have to weigh the risks/ benefits, to determine a medication.

If the Veteran is prescribed a medication with overwhelming negative side effects, then sometimes swithching to another medication may help, however, sometimes you just have to put up with the side effects.

Even worse, is drug interactions with multiple drugs. Often, the side effects are not known.

But to make a blanket statement that Veterans should just switch drugs and forget asking for side effect benefits because it works for you reminds me of the story about the eye doctor:

Patitent: Doc these glasses dont work for me..cant see out of them.

Doctor: Whats wrong with you? I have used those eyeglasses for years, and I can see fine out of them. If they work for me, then they should work for you, too.

Wholesale- The difference is with the VA, some vets are filing claims everytime they get a side effect they don't like just to get extra $$$.

In the civilian world, what happens when you get a side effect you don't like....there's no claim to file...so then what? You do what everyone else does, you ask your doc about changing meds or adjusting the dose.

That's the difference.

For the most part, I do not see Veterans trying to rip off benefits. I see far more deserving Veterans waiting...and waiting...and waiting..often to be denied benefits.

If money was the only issue, why would anyone want to join the military? Surely, the E1 pay is not a big incentive, and neither are VA benefits. The average salary in America is around 50k, or almost double what a Veteran gets, even if he can get 100 per cent.

I dont begrude a disabled Vet his thirty k per year for getting injured protecting our country. I think maybe it should be the other way around. The Vet, who risked his life, should get fifty thousand a year, and the office GS employee working at the VA pushing paper should get thirty thousand a year. Perhaps the Veteran should delay the government workers paycheck for six months to a year, and the Vetran should get his disability check pronto and on time instead of the other way around.

Wholesale- The difference is with the VA, some vets are filing claims everytime they get a side effect they don't like just to get extra $$$.

In the civilian world, what happens when you get a side effect you don't like....there's no claim to file...so then what? You do what everyone else does, you ask your doc about changing meds or adjusting the dose.

That's the difference.

If it's not a workmens comp case then the civilian gets another drug, lives with the side effect, or stops taking the drug completely. The military that owns you 24/7 which casued you a medical problem and you have to take something to survive and you have side effects from that drug it should be part of your claim for more money.

I have alot of pain and it is necessary for me to take pain medications and I have side effects and those side effects prevent me from working. Yes, I want p&t IU--with out the pain medication I would probably be dead now. It's a catch 22. You take it when you have too, but it leaves you dizzy, lightheadness and slowed reactions. Really want me as your nurse on drugs.

I have several stomach problems and I am taking 3 types of drugs to prevent the side effect of nausea----Yes, I deserve to be compensated for this side effect. Since it is necessary for me to take those drugs due to a sc condition.

That's the point it is a direct result of the service connection condition. The problem with the VA is if they did claims by thier regs and rule there wouldn't be as many vets to becoming claims junkies. When you screw with someone and violate there rights for years. Can you blame them for wanting whatever they can get. I don't. I am falling into that same category as a claims junkie. So I will read the rules and file for anything and everything I am entitled too, since they can't play by the rules.

If the did the right thing the first go around the VA systme would not be in the shape its it. I see no reason to file more claims after I get IU P&T but hey they screwed with my claims put me into IMO's and NODs so game on VA.