Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Bothersome Trend

Rate this question

purple

Question

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

{off soapbox now}

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I do not see that claiming secondary disability from side effects and the residuals

of taking medications for SC'd disabilities as a "Bothersome Trend".

I see it as an additional claims process, allowed by regulations.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

I have the cough too and I take lisinopril. I am glad you mentioned that. It feels like something is sort of irritating my throat. I was taking another drug from a private doctor but the VA changed to the cheaper one.

PR-That's printed on almost all med bottles and print-outs you get with your meds. It's widely known. What is does is mess with the absorption rate of the medication.

Take some time to look it up before getting upset.

• HadIt.com Elder

Everyone is getting upset. We need to be a little less judgemental. If you read all possible side effects of even tylenol you would not take it. If the medical professionals don't warn, or even know about side effects how can patients. Also, drug companies down play side effects and distort the severity of the side effects. The only doctor I have who warns me about side effects is my 70 year old VA shrink

who is a real, old time doctor from great state of Texas. How he survives being in the VA I don't know. I guess because he is most qualified doctor they have.

• HadIt.com Elder
I do not see that claiming secondary disability from side effects and the residuals

of taking medications for SC'd disabilities as a "Bothersome Trend".

I see it as an additional claims process, allowed by regulations.

carlie

I whole heartedly agree with Carlie.

If you have a Service connected condition and meds cause you other issues, you should be able to file for it.

I have seen claims approved for High Dose metropo. It can cause you to pass out ant any point during the day.

J

The solution to that would be either to: (1) lower the dose, or (2) change to a different med.

If I filed for every med that has given me "a bad side effect" OMG....I'd tie up an RO for well over a year while real claims get bogged down.

I just think we need to more proactive in our own meds and less quick to slap down claim papers for something that happens all the time.