VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused!

Rate this question

RIKK

Question

MNANG(52D) from 94-97 perfect service, no problems..... joined RA in 97 suffered injury at Benning. Ended up getting OTH in 1999 with time missed(416 days) due to said injuries. Things unfolded in 05 when I got diagnosed with a slew of things like GAD,Panic disorder,Agoraphobia,Major Depression,PTSD and I think I have TINNITUS. So in short I have 94-97 NG time =good and 97-99 RA with a backmark= OTH with narrative reason "in lue of trial bt court martial" Any thoughts?

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

In March of 09 I did apply for VA comp but VA sent me somepaperwork saying" We determine your discharge for 97-99 is DISHONORABLE for VA purposes and a bar to VA benifits. got this in April 09 and I,m not sure what to do. I am over whelhmed, I have alot of trouble with reading and comp. these days. They sent VA form 4138's for people who know me to fill out along with my own statement to complete.

With the prior HD this should be correctable and you got good advise here so far-

Do you have a proven and well established nexus for getting those disabilities you mentioned service connected?

Berta, I gotta ask what "Nexus" means? Lol, I'm a simple man these days.

RIKK,

The nexus must be provided by a doctor.

It is a medical link between the in-service event, injury or illnes.

It must be medical because a non-medical person is not qualified to say

that the current disability was caused by the event, injury or illness injury in service.

Also, Study this real good.

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
Wings, by period of service you mean the first 3 years? or my last period BEFORE the OTH was issued?

Do you have an HONORABLE period of service??? Seems to me you are saying you have 2 periods of service. If so, you may claim an injury or disease occuring during the honorable period of service without any legal restraints. If your injury or disease occurred during your OTH period of service, for which the VA determined the character to be Dishonorable for VA purposes, you have one year to file a Notice of Disagreement with the Character of Service determination. You need to appeal!!! ~Wings

Rikk

I am trying to understand you were in the Air National Guard and you went active duty. You may have a little trouble here because you recieve orders that changed your status from the guard to active duty you did not recieve a DD-214 for your service from 94-97 because you only recieve one when you are discharged from Active Service. So from my personal experience as a retired reservest I have 4 different DD-214s active duty, desert storm, enduring freedom, iraqi freedom and when I retired from the reserves I recieved a retirement order. I dont want to be the barer of bad news but i think you have a tough row to hoe unless you get discharge upgraded.

Wings, I have a dd214 (H) (52D)from "active duty for NG" 1994-1995, I have a ngb22 (H) from the NG 95-97 and a dd214(OTH) (11B) from RA 97-99, now my deal happened in 97 while RA and I did not complete my 8 years in the NG. Are you saying I have 1 year from 99 to try and appeal? that would be 00 or so and 9 years too late. I figured I was screwed~ That's why I thought to hell with it. to them I'm a F-up. The dumb this is I never new I had multi disabilities untill one day I found myself in the ER, I thought I had a heart attack in 04 and that's when I got evaluated and diagnosed haven't worked since. To be honest, I can't be for sure "it's the army's fault" but I know I never had... GAD,Panic Disorder,Agoraphobia,Major Depression,PTSD, and a mind messing whooshing sound in my ears BEFORE I got KTFO by an explosive device in 97. I lost something there, but didn't know it at the time. I had an episode on the plane to 25th ID in HI, my wife saw it too, I became filled with fear(my first panic attack) to be on the plane and got off. The thing is I flew around the world and back before that no problems. So, looking back it makes sense, had no clue at the time though. I never thought to file untill my buddy who got FU'd in force recon told me too, cuz he knows my problems. I thought to myself I'm not Rambo, I'd never been to WAR or shot or had my balls blown off so I'm ok I thought. Sorry about being loose with the details but it's hard for me to get thoughts out and type.