Got My Tdiu Letter Today

Rate this topic

airborne18

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

airborne18

can you tell me how you got iu while working? you went to work in march for the government doing census work.i'm trying to cross that hurdle..quit because of problems or keep working and suffering..

congrats on your win.

I was not working..

I worked at one place for almost a year, left in feb on medical leave. a few weeks later the Census gave me a supervisor's job..( they said I could do it from my house after I finished with all the training.. they lied, it was alot of work driving all over the place.. which I could not handle ) I did a few weeks of the training, and trained my crew.. Did about a week or 2 of field work and had to leave, which was lat in april..

beginning of may I filed for IU.

Here is my timeline....

1986 - Parachute accident.. military threw pain pills at me, ETS'd and have been going to doctors ( private doctors ever since ).. VA and every veterans organization told me to go chase myself.. since I was a peacetime vet.

june 2008 - wife filed my initial claim ( after 20 years of me avoiding the VA ).. but we were broke and I was laid up.

Nov 2008 - claim was granted for "back strain"

I kept up with the VA appointments, Neruologists and Occupational Therapy diagnosis that I have 8 bad disks, and I have permanent nerve damage in my legs.

Nov 2008 - brought back in for annual review c&p.

Jan 2009 - my DAV rep calls me... Rating officer mentioned my new medical reports, mentions that I was a paratrooper and my claim will likely be granted.. I OK the DAV to submit new claims... secondary mental disorder, disk problems, and leg paralysis.. Also mentioned that the C&P doc indicated that I was not employable in his report from NOV.

Feb 2009 - another c&P for new claims... I made it clear that the nerve damage is permanent.. he concurred and mentioned that sending me to PT was a waste of time.. Told us we filed the leg claim wrong, but he would try and fix it with his report, so we would not have to refile.

March 2009 - c&p for mental disorders.. had a massive panic attack when my wife was not allowed to be in the examination.. so that pretty much sealed that.. plus the letters my wife and daughter wrote..

April 2009 - Granted 40% for lumbar prob, 50% for anxiety, and 40% for my back sprain.

- Stopped working completely.

May 2009 - Filed for IU..

Jun 2009 - Granted from April 26, 2009.. the last day I actually worked.

This is pretty much the whole deal.. if I omitted anythign it is due to my meds right now.. yipeeeeeeeeeeee

jim,

I have heard alot about TDIU, and a good friend of mine who used to be an awesome NSO gave me some insight..

first, it is the doctors who will get you TDIU.

My approach to everything was to let the VA doctors diagnos me, then follow up with claims.. I spent a year going to the VA and getting treatment.. I built up a medical file.. I had too, because I only had one doctor I could afford to in civilian land. And when I went to the doctors I made sure I knew exactly what they were going to put in my records..

I actually have a few more things I could claim, but they are not slam dunks, so I just let them go for now.

- another factor is what type of work you did, and if you could be employed at the same level of income.. above the national poverty level..

I would track down a DAV NSO and see what they say..

Congrats on your award!! I am also glad to hear the VA sort of working that fast.

Quick question, so you went from 80% to being 80% IU ( paid at 100% rate )? Or did the VA raised your true rating to 100% P&T?

Or is my question stupid? LOL. I am in the same situation you were in.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use