Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Tdiu Letter Today

Rate this topic

airborne18

Congrats on your award!! I am also glad to hear the VA sort of working that fast.

Quick question, so you went from 80% to being 80% IU ( paid at 100% rate )? Or did the VA raised your true rating to 100% P&T?

Or is my question stupid? LOL. I am in the same situation you were in.

No it is actually not a stupid question and honestly it still does not make sense to me totally.

I am being paid at 100% due to unemployable.. My schedular rating is still 80%.

Yesterday I actually went to my VARO to get my Commissary Letter to get my ID. And also got a letter stating my rating without all of the details..

It is worded something like this ( don't have it in front of me ).... The veteran is 100% Permanent and Total due to Unenployability.

THe key is your award has to have "no future exams".. The VARO people said that if your award contains Chapter 35 for dependents you are P&T.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Airborne!

Please realize why I am asking. I would like to look into this further. I was always under the assumption that you can't go from 80% rating to 100% P&T ( and receive Champa & Chap 35 )but thru the TDIU process. If this is truly the case, congrats.

My plan was to get IU and then file another claim, then try to get P&T. It sounds like to knocked 3 birds with one stone.

Thank you so much.

Iraq,

That was my plan as well.. I needed the money that it would pay and figured after a year or two I would file for the P&T.

I basically got the highest from the start.. they could easily have made it temp. when I called my NSO to clarify, he said you got it all and no more claims need to be done... It really is about the P&T part, whether you are 100% schedular or through unemployable does not matter.. It is all on whether they designate you as P&T..

One other point.. I got my TDIU based on a physical problem, not mental... Though my highest rated disability is mental ( 50% ).. they based their decision on my back, which I have two seperate ratings ( 40% each ).

Good for you. I am 70% PTSD ,20% for my back, and 0% for knees. In addition, all kinds of other lingering problems that I've just recently filed for. If I don't work again, of course I would like Chap 35 and Champa for my kids. It seems to be such a battle but I am closer than I was when I was at 40%.

My IU claim is at the Rating Board now. I hope they see the evidence, my history, the other pending claims, and someone could do the logical thing and realize that I ain't going away. My ideal outcome would be what you've received.

Again, thank you for the information and good luck with everything else.

This is GREAT news airborne-

For some reason the VA sends Champva info separately-I wonder if they still do it the same way when they sent me the CHAMPVA stuff-many years ago.

I got a letter separate from my award letter saying I might be eligible for CHAMPVA and then I had to directly apply for this benefit.

Nowadays you can apply on line for CHAMPVA by googling CHAMPVA.

It is a wonderful benefit that I am grateful to have.

Have you also applied for SSDI disability yet?

This award is evidence tha would need to be considered for an SSA award.

airborne,

A big CONGRATULATIONS from me. I just received the "We are still working on your claim" letter from the VA yesterday in regards to my application for TDIU. I was feeling a little bit down, but after reading your post my hopes are up again. Thank you for sharing with us.

Kappa

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use