Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Tdiu Letter Today

Rate this topic

airborne18

This is GREAT news airborne-

For some reason the VA sends Champva info separately-I wonder if they still do it the same way when they sent me the CHAMPVA stuff-many years ago.

I got a letter separate from my award letter saying I might be eligible for CHAMPVA and then I had to directly apply for this benefit.

Nowadays you can apply on line for CHAMPVA by googling CHAMPVA.

It is a wonderful benefit that I am grateful to have.

Have you also applied for SSDI disability yet?

This award is evidence tha would need to be considered for an SSA award.

Apparently my packet didn't come with alot of things.. I got a paper with a list of benefits for P&T, but no details.. It did come with the Chapter 35 apps, but not the ChampVA. I should have also received the letter for the Military ID..

So maybe they did send the ChampVA seperately and it might be in my PO Box.

I do not have eligiblity for SSDI.. I do not have enough wage qtrs. In the past 5 years I have only worked 1. And now you have to have worked 4 years out of the last 10.

I am also not eligible for DAV plates either.. go figure.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think we had to just seek out and apply for champva on our own. I don't recall receiving any application for it, either. Congrats on your win!

Edit...how are u not eleigble for dv plates? You are a 100% P&T vet. All you need to get them is the same letter you will use for the ID card. Call the 800# on monday and ask about the letter.

Edited by rentalguy1

I think we had to just seek out and apply for champva on our own. I don't recall receiving any application for it, either. Congrats on your win!

Edit...how are u not eleigble for dv plates? You are a 100% P&T vet. All you need to get them is the same letter you will use for the ID card. Call the 800# on monday and ask about the letter.

In my state I am not eligible.. It is not the percentage that matters, it is your period of service. Combat does not matter, just that you served during a period of war. Since I served in peacetime I am not a Disabled Veteran... I am a person who served in the military who has a service connected rating..

A civilian who works for the DAV in my state wrote the law, so go figure. same person that took pleasure in telling me I was not eligible for the plates.

funny though I am allowed to join the DAV, just can't get their plates..

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually, the biggest benefits from P&T status are possible property tax exemption and ChampVA. I pay no property tax in Florida and I get the DV tags. What does it matter about war time service if you are P&T? I have war time service in a combat zone. People got hurt worse than me in jeep accidents back at Ft Polk. The deserve it just as much as I do if they can't work because of it. I think someone is BSing you.

No it is how the law reads in my state.. I actually cannot get DAV plates in my state, even though I am a member of the DAV. The woman is quite proud that she had worked the law that way. so people like me who didn't serve during wartime and don't deserve the plates don't get them..

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use