Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Computer

Cavtrooper088

You may have missed it in Pete's answer, but Windows 7 is the next generation, and 'supposedly' has resolved many of the problems that Vista has. But then again, it IS Microsoft that is saying this...

As far as buying a new computer, there are many option to consider. Personally, I keep all my software CDs together, and when i have to buy a new system, I normally just buy the tower; because I have replaced/upgraded my peripherals during the time I have had the old tower. I have avoided Vista, and kept with XP Professional - I would buy a tower without an OS, if I was upgrading today, and load it with the XP Professional. I would just contact Microsoft and let them know that I am transferring my OS to a new computer, and erasing it off the old one.

But if you want a system out of the box, Best Buy and Wal-Mart have good deals. If you want even better deals, then you can order from companies like: ComputerGeek, USA Computers, CDW, and TigerDirect.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a friend build me a new computer from newegg

vista home 64 bit-99.99

DVD/R-23.99

22" wide screen monitor-159.99

Seagate barracuda GB 7200 rpm 3.0 GB hard drive-54.99

AMD phenom 9600 2.3 GHz 2+95 quad processor-89.99

Crucial GB memory-36.99

500w power supply-69.99

G motherboard-78.99

tower case-45.99

all this is Greek to me but I paid less than $700 and It's a lot better than my old computer and I love the monitor

Windows 7 is not coming out till October 2009

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• In Memoriam

Here is CompUSA bare bones units. Pick out a sub category.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Catego...p=LN-_-PAR-_-NA

Here are the Intel based barebones units.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/catego...l-Barebone-Kits&

I bought NZXT case with a Quad core Intel base mother board and 4 Gigs ram. It runs and looks great. I just added my other devices and monitor to the Comp. As far as I am concerned the Operating systems are the same. I haven't had any problems with Dos 3.0, Win 3.0, Win95, Win 98, Win2000, ME, XP, or Vista. I cleaned up the Vista system to operate the way I want, and the system works fine. My Vista is set up very similar to my XP comp.

If you are tired of MS, you could check out Mac's on the same site.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• Founder

it's true i am a mac convert, i'll never go back

Don't know if this helpa or not but,

I know that Tbird went to a Mac and swears by it.

carlie

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• 4 months later...
it's true i am a mac convert, i'll never go back

TOSHIBA #1

sarcastic cane toad