Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Health Care Bill Introduced

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

I saw this on the internet and thought some vets with medicare might be interested

in it. Thanks.

68mustang

H.R. 3365 to allow veterans to use their earned Medicare benefits to receive health care and services from the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

http://www.military.com/veterans-report/ve...uced?ESRC=vr.nl

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If I as a vet with medicare were stuck with the VA I would drop medicare. The VA is not worth what I pay in Part B. That would be the opposite of health care reform. I don't want my medicare dollars supporting those idiots at the VA.

As long as our VA coverage is considered "creditable c

As long as our VA coverage is considered "creditable coverage" at least as good as Medicare (not going there), then no, you would not be forced to enroll in part B. actually, you aren't forced to now, you just get penalized if you don't have creditable coverage when you finally do sign up. It keeps the freeloaders from saving their money, then signing up at the last minute when they finally need medical care and suddenly see the benefit of medicare coverage (thus saving the rest of medicare subscribers money). Everything I've read so far is that VA coverage will be a suitable substitute for medicare and any public option if there is one.

Military Health Service has been able to bill private insurance for decades. It's a little known requirement that was ignored for years, but with health care costs spiraling out of control, hospital commanders have discovered a revenue stream to offset some of their cost. TRICARE aka CHAMPUS which was based on medicare will be creditable coverage should there be a public option.

The government has longed billed other agencies for services. those of us around in the 70's and early 80's remember when there was no out of pocket cost while TDY for on-base billeting or "contract" hotels. Beginning in the 80's, that changed. No more contract hotels, and official travelers pay for billeting on base, then file for reimbursement. Believe it or not, airplanes away from home have to "pay" for fuel. It's a world gone mad. Anyway, billing medicare would (okay, should...this is the VA afterall) provide the hospital with additional revenue that they can use to improve (there I go again) service. I know, good luck. assuming it doesn't go to the hospital administrator's bonus, if the hospital gets $1M in its budget for patient services, and bills medicare for $300K, then the effect is a $1.3M budget. Better, it's a paper transfer within the government, so until they use it for something (a new doctor or nurse??), then it costs nothing.

actually, I wouldn't mind the VA billing a private insurer as long as the policy had no lifetime limit--some do, some don't.

medicare is run by contractors--as is TRICARE.

You're jumping to conclusions buddy. Why would they bill your S/C conditions if there already free?

frank

Yup, and I hate it. It'll allow the VA to bill medicare for my s/c care!! It really pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank

The VA will bill for anything they can get away with be is SC or NSC. If you are over 50% they figure you won't comlain too much since you don't pay anything in terms of co-pays. I think it is a crime to charge vets a co-pay on anything.

Maybe I am missing something here..I dont have medicare but I dont give a rip if the Va bills medicaid, the Department of Agriculture, or Bill Gates for my care, and I cant see the importance of this. Who cares which government agency pays for our care, as long as we dont have to? I am confused as to why this would matter which government agency paid for our care, tho I would agree that the responsibility lies with the VA.

I do care, however, that it takes years and years to get a claim approved, and that I was very nearly homeless while waiting for the VA to "process" my claim which took seven years, including appeals.

And, I am more than just a little bit sure that many Veterans cant wait 7 years to get their benefits..they would wind up homeless, and/or many others take their own life.

I would have like to seen Mr. Filner address a very real, and, life threating issue: Give Veterans their deserved benefits in a timely manner. I think that is 10,000 times more important than who/if another government agency gets billed for my copay/deductable.

JMHO

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I have to pay for pain management from a private Dr with medicare for health conditions that have been pending a decision from the VA.

If this passes i'll also end up paying for all my other medications & treatment, while the VA stalls my claims.