• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Proposes To

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Recent VA News Releases

"Secretary Shinseki Moves to Simplify PTSD Compensation Rules

WASHINGTON (Aug. 24, 2009) - Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K.

Shinseki announced the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is taking

steps to assist Veterans seeking compensation for Post-Traumatic Stress

Disorder (PTSD).

"The hidden wounds of war are being addressed vigorously and

comprehensively by this administration as we move VA forward in its

transformation to the 21st century," said Secretary Shinseki.

The VA is publishing a proposed regulation today in the Federal Register

to make it easier for a Veteran to claim service connection for PTSD by

reducing the evidence needed if the stressor claimed by a Veteran is

related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity. Comments on

the proposed rule will be accepted over the next 60 days. A final

regulation will be published after consideration of all comments

received.

Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor

related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA

psychiatrist or psychologist confirms that the stressful experience

recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the

Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor.

Previously, claims adjudicators were required to corroborate that a

non-combat Veteran actually experienced a stressor related to hostile

military activity. This rule would simplify the development that is

required for these cases.

PTSD is a recognized anxiety disorder that can follow seeing or

experiencing an event that involves actual or threatened death or

serious injury to which a person responds with intense fear,

helplessness or horror, and is not uncommon in war.

Feelings of fear, confusion or anger often subside, but if the feelings

don't go away or get worse, a Veteran may have PTSD.

VA is bolstering its mental health capacity to serve combat Veterans,

adding thousands of new professionals to its rolls in the last four

years. The Department also has established a suicide prevention

helpline (1-800-273-TALK) and Web site available for online chat in the

evenings at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/Veterans

<http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/Veterans/> ."

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

So do your service treatment letters prove the denial wrong? Where are you at in the process now? Yikes Bob, seems like a flashing billboard could get their attention, ya think? Sorry to hear how it goes and will keep you in my prayers, if ya don't mind.

Now I wonder how a common veteran like me can comment on a proposed regulation....

Cowgirl'up2009!

The VA is publishing a proposed regulation today in the Federal Register

to make it easier for a Veteran to claim service connection for PTSD by

reducing the evidence needed if the stressor claimed by a Veteran is

related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity. Comments on

the proposed rule will be accepted over the next 60 days. A final

regulation will be published after consideration of all comments

received.

'Over four decades ago, when I was 18 years old, serving in a light weapons infantry line company, I entered a mine field with my company commander, to render aid to the wounded. Incoming fire was reported. I was wounded after the fourth explosion. Last year the VA denied my request for a PTSD rating. The denial letter said ..." Your service treatment records show no complaint, treatment, or diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder".'

• HadIt.com Elder
Regarding my claim; When I regain my stamina from the chemo, radiation treatments, and surgery, I will address the issue. I have till February of next year to file the proper NOD and fire the poor souls that are mishandling my case now.

P. S. ...I have at least a dozen pages of, after action reports, battalion log excerpts and declassified army records, as well as a third party report of my morning in the mine field, written by a university professor and war correspondent. It is so blatantly obvious that the rater never read the record, he rated. He truly needs to be reprimanded, or fired, or at least denied his bonus for clearing a lot of claims off his desk. I would love to drag him in front of a real federal judge.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• HadIt.com Elder

Bob

The VA denying your PTSD claim is so absurd it should be on the front page of the local newspaper to humiliate the local VARO. That is the worst denial I ever heard about for PTSD. If getting your leg blown off is not an event that creates extream fear of death I don't know what is? It happened in the combat zone on a combat mission. Regardless of who put the minefield there that should be slam/dunk for a stressor. The VA did not read your claim. That is pretty obvious.

Bob

The VA denying your PTSD claim is so absurd it should be on the front page of the local newspaper to humiliate the local VARO. That is the worst denial I ever heard about for PTSD. If getting your leg blown off is not an event that creates extream fear of death I don't know what is? It happened in the combat zone on a combat mission. Regardless of who put the minefield there that should be slam/dunk for a stressor. The VA did not read your claim. That is pretty obvious.

my god ! where did you file that claim? that is beyond absurd to deny you your benefits!

• HadIt.com Elder
Bob

You are right John, ...I have caught them, like a deer in the headlights... I personally don't give a damn about my own claim. They can take my file and put it where the sun doesn't shine... That army CRSC drew me back into their 401k web. I regret ever re-connecting with those bureaucrats. If they can do that to me, then what about all our other vets and the new kids coming home to this slap in the face...Blind sided.. I hope I can expose those VA career employees for the lazy bastards, that they are. And do it in such a way that they can't hide behind their timeless excuses, like, "well it just fell through the cracks." or one of a kind.etc.. They have a manual full of excuses.. Meanwhile, many of our old Vietnam and new young returning vets are killing themselves due to the mishandling of their illness. The Sec. of the VA and the President are getting the wool pulled over their eyes by career VA upper managers and VA employee malingerers. They definitely have my attention.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93