VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"weasel" Excuses To Deny

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

It was pointed out, by TEAC, that the VA is not required to approve TDIU on the basis alone that SS awarded disability for SC conditions. The VA uses the "weasel" clause that VA's definition of totally disabled is different than SSD's definition of totally disabled. I call that the VA "weaseling" out of paying. They have lots of ways of doing that.

Another way is the Veteran files for benefits. The VA denies one benefit, says nothing about the other. A year passes. The VA now "weasels" out of paying, claiming the Veterans second benefit was "deemed denied" and that the one year clock starts and the Veterans decision became final, even tho there was no decision at all on that issue.

Please add the way the VA "weaseled" you out of your VA benefits, to help other Veterans from being weaseled out of their also.

For thoroughness, I will supply the link to the lawyer who discusses the court cases where the VA can secretly deny, or deemed deny, a Veterans claims:

(Scroll down to the bottom.."deemed denial"..there are also other cases where the courts did not require the VA to give an answer to the Veterans claim..that his claim was "deemed denied")

http://wvajustice.com/?m=200907

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My favorite of all time was when the VAMC in Dallas told me straight to my face that if they allowed me fee service it would cause them to have to do it for a lot of other Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Despite being on one of the most contaminated bases in the US, shown by the 1978 EPA Superfund report showing 77 toxic substances in the water and soil of Edgewood Arsenal, I was told they could not and would not SC any of the issues related to the exposures as I could not prove I had drank any of the contaminated water in the three months I was there from June thru August 1974, the EPA did not survey EA, until the summer of 1978 and ordered the immediate capping of the water wells that had been used since 1917 for the bases drinking water and bathing and all other uses, watering the grass, washing cars, filling the post swimming pool etc all of normal uses, the entire aquifer was closed, they even had to shut down the city of Edgewood marylands water and the Army paid for water to be piped in from the White Mountains.

I may not be able to prove I was exposed to specific toxic substances from that water, but they can't prove I wasn't either, and plain old common sense says anyone that consumed any water at Edgewood Arsenal should be presumed to have been exposed to the toxic substances but then no one has ever accused the VA of using common sense.

Similar to the contamination at that maine Corp base in Virginia where they found that dry cleaning solvent and the high number of disabled veterans and family members that has been in the news the past year, and that is only from one chemical, Edgewood has 77 of them.....

• HadIt.com Elder

TestVet

It is sort of like agent orange. It is hard to prove you were directly exposed unless you had it sprayed on you, or marched through areas that had been recently sprayed. Spray maps show the areas that were espcially hard hit. However, since spraying was so widespread the VA can't prove you were not exposed, so they assume you were. This is because of pressure from vets and vet groups for years. In smaller contamination situations the DOD and VA will just deny the claims because there is not the pressure to at least give vets the benefit of the doubt.

• HadIt.com Elder

We have denied your claim because there is no evidence of complaints , treatment or a diagnosis of in service.

That was what they told me in 1994 on my HTN claim. I actually gave up at that time but with the help of a Great VA Doc who had the SMR, turned me in the right direction. Funny how out of 17 readings over 4 years in servicve that 14 had bottom line readings over 100.

That was what lit the fire under my backside and it burns hotter every day.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

The VARO rater wrote in my denial letter; "Your military service treatment records show no complaint, treatment or diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder". LOL, LOL. I was out of the army in1968. PTSD wasn't even recognized by the VA, or medical community. until 1980. I'm sure when I bring this to the DRO's attention, He/she will weasel out of it with a dismissive, "Oh that was probably just a typo."