VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Me Or Is The Va Granting More Claims But Are Really Putting It To Vets

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I wonder what is going on with this, I know of several ciams where the claim was granted but the ED was all screwed up.

They are trying to give a Vet an increase on his original claim but it was bease off of a NOD and was in the appeal stage?

Go figure.

J

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think they figure a vet will be so happy to "win" they will ignore the correct effective date I have a copy of my letter to the VARO listed below for tweek ideas before I restart by 7 year battle with them I took the summer off and enjoyed myself I am supposed to have a year before I have to appeal I used 4 months but it's time to get started again

I too have noticed this more and more in the last 2-3 years-

This is being done deliberately in my opinion- to withhold comp from veterans.

it is either some deliberate tactic or the results of the big VARO hiring push about 2 years ago- when they thought by hiring and training more raters and claims personnel -the backlog would be reduced-

but the errors these newbys are making is causing more backlog and more erroneous awards and EEDs for retro.

In the late 1990s the ROs were deliberately withholding MILLIONS from AO vets whose claims fell under the Nehmer COurt Order.NVLSP went into the ROs and got them their money.

I mention this here when we have an AO award but never enough-

AO vets definitely need to read the Nehmer Court Order and STipulation available at the NVLSP web site under the part Earliest Effective dates.

Nehmer vets and widows EEDs are not usually the same as other claims.Particularily when the vet or widow was denied for same claim in the past then awarded under Nehmer.

I knew when the VA awarded me as a Nehmer widow they would screw up my money.

I was prepared for a skirmish but it might become a major battle.

I felt my award letter was a deliberate attempt to prevent me from even trying to get what they owe me under Nehmer, Burial award, offset refund (DIC, REPS, and maybe even my Chapter 35.

I sent that award letter to Cong Filner and Chairman Terry of the BVA,They had sent me many letters I think due to my Sub Committee testimony- and offered to help with any future problems after they wrote of the BVA award.There was a COPngressional Inquiry still at the RO, that came After the award letter-I just found that out yesterday-no one at 800 had noticed it before.

I think they (Congressman Filner and James Terry) were expecting a Thank You Card-from me

Instead I got an award letter so erroneous I might ask that the Sub Committee accept it into testimony-and I sent it to them in protest.

These erroneous award letters as to the wrong EEDs and other stuff-you are right- the vet is happy that the battle is over-they are reluctant-with some retro- to see if in fact they deserve more-

the vet reps are idling standing by-and hoping vets and widows will not challenge an award.

IF the award has been made, there is no incentive for a rep to help if the retro is wrong.

This stuff is either a deliberate step on VA's part or the raters are illiterate.

Then again when you factor in the known EP code that determines the bonuses of the RO directors-

it is quantity of work and not quality that is producing these errors.

I might have an answer soon regarding my offset per the Regional COunsel Office -either the check will be in the mail or I will have to go over the RC 's head.

My evidence is established VA case law and regs.But I recall VA manipulated those regs for many years in my case to withhold a lot of cash they finally had to pay regarding something else.

YES they are making lots of retro errors.

With computers adding up the totals of retros and dependents etc etc-year by year-and subtracting any comp that was already paid under an older rating-I dont see how difficult it can be for VA to make a proper mathematical award.

Still they manage to do this.Whether deliberate or careless error- this should stop and every vet needs to thoroughly check their retro against the historic rate charts to see if it is right.

Have observed this of lately too.

I wonder what is going on with this, I know of several ciams where the claim was granted but the ED was all screwed up.

They are trying to give a Vet an increase on his original claim but it was bease off of a NOD and was in the appeal stage?

Go figure.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

As much as I would like to indulge in conspiracy theory fantasy, and I imagine there are a many vindictive people at the VA. I can't help but think that there is a lot of incompetence and lack of training.

• HadIt.com Elder

I also think it is policy to screw vets on the effective dates. These guys at HQ for the VA get together had plan ways to save money. They don't give a damn about us. They do, however, care very much about their jobs and pensions.