Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Awarded..... Now What?

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

As some of you may know, I was very fortunate and was awarded SSDI within 3 months of my claim. It is such a relief to have SS benefits and VA benefits kicking in while I am not working. I understand that there are so many other Vets fighting their claims right now and I wish them the best of luck. Needless to say, it has been a long battle to get these benefits and I feel that a big burden have been lifted from me.

Forgive me if I sound stupid but since being awarded SSDI.... ? What do I do now?? I am more familiar on how the VA works but not how SS works. It was stated that I am up for an exam every 3 years. Last week they sent me brochures on " back to work programs ", etc. I have been working since I was 16 years old. Do I try to go with their programs just to "remain under their radar"?

What do other people do after they are awarded SSDI? Do they usually remain on SSDI forever? What should I do or don't do while I am on SSDI? The benefit is a big help and I do want to keep it. As of now, no employer will hire me and it would be illogical to get any job paying less. I just do not what to lose it because I was not following some protocal.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I look at it this way. It helps me. The VA and SS are paying me more than 25 bucks an hour not to work. Tax free!!!! I would have to get a job that pays more than 32 bucks an hour to break even and also put up with the hassle of office politics and answering to weird people. As it stands now I am able to do what I want mostly and only have to answer to wife and kids,

For a person to be retired and enjoy the same income they would have to have a couple of million stashed away. I don't think I would have ever earned that nor saved it so I am much better off than I would have been.

Sometimes its just better to count your blessings and accept what you have.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder
I look at it this way. It helps me. The VA and SS are paying me more than 25 bucks an hour not to work. Tax free!!!! I would have to get a job that pays more than 32 bucks an hour to break even and also put up with the hassle of office politics and answering to weird people. As it stands now I am able to do what I want mostly and only have to answer to wife and kids,

For a person to be retired and enjoy the same income they would have to have a couple of million stashed away. I don't think I would have ever earned that nor saved it so I am much better off than I would have been.

Yup. And, not only that, but we have healthcare, forever. It may not be "concierge healthcare", but, hey, at the Dallas VAMC we even have VALET PARKING!

And, when I think back to all the hours I spent in an aluminum tube flying all over heck and back, trying to make a buck, when all I was doing was making my health worse, my panic attacks worse, my life at home was spent trying to figure out the next weeks meetings and flights and hotels, and I spent thousands of dollars that were never recouped, that just sifted through the cracks, and when it was all said and done, at the end of the year, when the IRS and I settled up.....it was sad.

And, then, after years of this...........my last memory of my "working days" is an ambulance ride and being rushed down a hallway, on a gurney, and the flourescent lights in the ceiling going by overhead...............and the look on my Wife's face.

It isn't the "retirement" that I had in mind, but, at least I'm still HERE, and I get to see my kids and my wife, and I still have my sense of humor. :P

And, I've got a warm cat on my lap, and the coffee tasted good this morning. I like warm cats and warm coffee.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

I really think it depends on your age and your disability. If you are 25 years old and have some disability that does not affect your thinking then it does make sense to try to work. If you are 50 years old with a severe emotional disorder it makes no sense at all. Not many people will have a fixed income of over 2500 bucks a month tax free in the future. They will have their tiny IRA's and 201-K's to live on for 20 years. Maybe people will just work until they drop like in the 19th Century.

Pete, and add another 2/hour for the duduction in a civilian payroll check for healthcare with deductible.

Edited by darkhorse
crazy-dog.jpg&h=94&w=133&usg=__KOn1hLijeKDD3LwW2tzES4paAcQ=

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete, and add another 2/hour for the duduction in a civilian payroll check for healthcare with deductible.

And another two hours a day commuting, and $80 bucks a week gasoline, and $45 bucks a week auto maintenance/depreciation and lunch 5 meals a week..............ect, etc.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph