Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Imo Qualifications/costs

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

My interests are very close to Rockhounds I started to add my experience to his thread but didn't want to hijack his thread. Here is my IME person:

For Lumbar Injury which the VA denied and has now gone to the DRO and I have requested a conference. I expect zero help from anybody so I'll be toeing the mark alone. If the DAV even shows up they need, no i'll bring my own, crash cart.

Her credentials:

Mxxxxxx O. Bxxxxxx, M.D.

Certification:

American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Spinal Cord Injury Medicine

American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Residency:

Physical Medicine, Ohio State University Hospitals

Internship:

Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, OH

Medical School:

University of Maryland Medical School

Cost $500.00

I gave her the following documentation:

2 MRI Disc images With Flex x-rays

2 Radiology Evaluations for the MRI

1 Neurology notes from consult

Fee basis eoidural injection approcal form

Surgery option by neurologist at consult.

2 VA denials, both stating different reasons.

Nobody really denies my back is messed up but the VA dodged that as good as they could but those /dr's and MrI's kept interferring with that. So I have documented:

1. Sciatica from pinched S1

2. Protruded herniations

3. extruded herniations

4. degenerative disc disease multiple level

5. ventral wedging

6. osteophytes

7.kyphosis

8. annular fissure

9.facet hypertrophy

etc..............

you get the idea

The real issue is this SC?

So how do I approach this appointment? It is next Wednesday at which point I hand them 500 bucks for who knows what.

1. Should I go bare handed and just run my mouth

2. bring an example of what the VA is looking for as in the way of form and wording/

3. Should I and is it true point out that it does not have to be that each item idicated is SC, that one of those is possibly SCand should be noted if that is actually SC.

I am open for suggestions on this. Doesn't have to be all or none right? for example 6.5 years of humping 174 lb FA projos had to play some part in the degenerative disease item. Way outside federal lifting guidlines! Seems like that or at least one of those items should be conceeded!

Do I just sit there and keep my mouth shut? are try to make my point?

Of course all you guys are appreciated.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would bring an example of what the VA is looking for in wording. Do you have private medical insurance? The insurance might pay some of it. She should say that in her medical opinion all your problems were caused by your military ordeal. Get your money's worth.

Hey john, thanks for your experienced considered opinion. I did fail to mention: $%%^#$^ good work if you can get it! "Get your money's worth" that is part of what I am asking, specifically, do I push for what I want, how do they expect I will be as a patient, demanding or timid? just imply it by pointing out the premium responses? Please keep in mind I have no experience with this type of exchange. It's not like getting your carb adjusted and you can walk back in the shop and say I want a/b/c, or is it since that is a fair sum of money considering I rounded up all the diagnostic material and opinions for that matter. All she has to do is read the docs, look me over and write. I find it beyond acceptable that any reasonable person could find with all those lumbar problems with active duty lumbar medical notes, that none were influenced by 6.5 years of humping jo's. Should I state that? Write that down and hand it to her? Read it to her, without being combative?

No medical insurance, this is all on me. Should be titled David vs US Treasury

If someone that has done this and been successful tell me how they did it, from check in, blow by blow. I know that's asking alot but by all means abbreviate to make a point.

Edited by cannoncocker

Cannon - for 500 bucks you need to be telling her exactly what you are looking for. It appears that you have already given her quite a bit of evidence. However, you now need to give her the SMR's to which you are trying to tie you current condition to and tell her that you need a medical opinion from her stating that your current condition is related to the inservice incident and her strong rationale for making such an opinion.

Make sure this doctor follows the IMO criteria here at hadit under "Getting an Independent Medical Opinion."

Dr. Craig Bash who used to work for VA knows exactly how to word an IMO- I used the IMos I got from him to create the Getting an IMO template I posted here.

VA will reject an IMO that doesnt conform to this-

it doesnt have to be exactly the same as the post I made- but the nexus statement has to be made- and then supported by direct medical evidence referred to by the doc from the SMRs and/or clinical record.

I will try to re-post this IMO topic for the IMos here again in claims research today.

That isnt a bad IMO fee- I paid 4,000 for 2 and 1750 for another one- I didnt need because I got awarded before the cardio IMO doc had chance to write up the opinion-

Make sure you include her Curriculum Vitae that you posted here with the IMO when you send it to the VA.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thank you mr man, believe me when I tell you i don't give up 500 dollars for fun. I do come from the period that 500 was actually real money! I tried chiropractors= all their treatment or nothing, but I was dealing with phone desk sttaff that no doubt had zero idea of what I needed. Most MD Specialty folks, their staff's eteys rolled back in their head because they didn't have a computer code for no referral. This is an odyssey every step of the way. I did not try a walk in clinic, yet. I could still do that if they would be onboard with this.

They have the two SMR's, the injury occured right before I got out so that consists of er notes and battalion aid station notes. The er saw medical claim written on my forhead so they did no diagnostic work, just palpation, looks good to me, take these motrin, remove yorself. The aid station just chaged my meds and called it low back pain, rather than "pain at waist line" like somebody would actually limp, leaning on his brother, and announce my waist line hurts! Gimme a break. Like I have said before i have had doctors laugh at that. They took lessons from the VA.

Those and the fact I spent 6.5 years hunping weights with no lifting handles that weighed from 130 to 174 lbs in repetion walking a 100 yards with them on my shoulder, all unacceptable to Federal Occupatioanl Safety Equation, which I guess I'll bring, in case she isn't aware such thing exists. i don't take anything for granted. If anybody has a cheaper way ou i'd be glad to hear it.

I called a couple of ambulance chasers but unless there was a payday for them. I don't think so about giving up their doctor. thinking about it, that is exactly how they make their cash, or at least part of it, having some dr's that would roll over on anything!

Ok, so far it looks like I should be calling the shots, since this is my dime, as long as I have evidence to put with it. Who could not put that together:

a. ER notes which when you read is for low back pain

b. Aid station notes, change meds low back pain

c. ligth duty till ets (my cmdr. just gave that up as a freebie)

d. took all my leave to recoup

e. 6.5 years of illegal occupaational lifting.

f. My MRI looks like i'm 90.

Can they do the math? Does the benefit of the doubt go to me?

Where can I get a goog example of a letter with the different language she can use?

Thank you

Make sure this doctor follows the IMO criteria here at hadit under "Getting an Independent Medical Opinion."

Dr. Craig Bash who used to work for VA knows exactly how to word an IMO- I used the IMos I got from him to create the Getting an IMO template I posted here.

VA will reject an IMO that doesnt conform to this-

it doesnt have to be exactly the same as the post I made- but the nexus statement has to be made- and then supported by direct medical evidence referred to by the doc from the SMRs and/or clinical record.

I will try to re-post this IMO topic for the IMos here again in claims research today.

That isnt a bad IMO fee- I paid 4,000 for 2 and 1750 for another one- I didnt need because I got awarded before the cardio IMO doc had chance to write up the opinion-

Make sure you include her Curriculum Vitae that you posted here with the IMO when you send it to the VA.

Hi Berta, and again asking for your help.

I just looked below so I just saw your post, sorry about that!

is

Looks like you had already answered my question: Getting an Independent Medical Opinion."

could you tell me where your post :

"got from him to create the Getting an IMO template I posted here'

That would cap it off. I will bring my dd214 to proove my time in service.

Some body had posted 400 to 1000 as a bench mark soo that is what I used. Your IMO probably required more work on their part. I'll make sure all she has to do is read, look at me. Then write basically filling in the blanks or do it her own way as long as it conforms.

I want to make this as simple as possible. So that template would finish this off.

Thank you for your help and hope it's not much trouble to find that template.

Edited by cannoncocker