Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adding Dependants To Claim

Rate this question

usmc1114

Question

I recently received 10% sc for my left knee, which brought my total sc to 30%. My claim was filed Jan 28, 2008 for back, knee and ankle. In July 2009 I was awarded 10% for back & 10% for ankle for a total of 20%, the knee was deferred back to the Detroit VA. I received the backpay for the 20% back to Feb 2008. A few weeks ago I received noticed that I was now 30% total because they rated my knee 10%. The letter indicated they have computed my rate while including my wife, but not my 2 children because they did not have the SSN's for the kids. As the letter suggested, I called the RO and gave them the SSN's for my kids. I have since received the backpay for my wife and I at 30%, but not the additional my children would add. I received a letter that they are processing my request, which I assume means the form adding my children.

How long should it take to have the children added to my "claim" and the additional backpay deposited? I'm happy with how the claim process has gone thus far, just curious on a possible timeframe.

Thanks!

Tom

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Give it a little while.....When I added my Daughter it took 4 months, but when I added my son....both because they were born it took 18 months! Don't know why. Sorry I couldn't help anymore.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you do the dependant form to add the kids.

The VA has a rule and they will use it against you if the form is not submitted.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder
Give it a little while.....When I added my Daughter it took 4 months, but when I added my son....both because they were born it took 18 months! Don't know why. Sorry I couldn't help anymore.

And.............how long would it have taken if they hadn't been born?

sorry, man, I just couldn't, COULDN'T, let that one get away B) !

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Tom

The short answer is that it takes exactly how long the Regional Office Wants it to take. For me, it took them 2 years and they NEVER paid me for back pay. Others have said less time than this. Since the VA has no accountability and no time limit, they can take their sweet time. This is a pet peeve and one of the reasons for "hadit".

Can two vets claim the same dependent? I am getting married in the next few months and I will be adding a child to my dependent list, however this child is already claimed by another vet who receives benefits, can we both claim the same child?