Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which One Should I Be Applying For

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I have questions about social security but I want to use the right terminology before I ask. Should I be applying for both SSI or SSD I am recieving VA benefits at 100% TDIU does this disqualify me for either or both? Also I have the paperwork for the determination division what should I say and how do I word it from my friends part. thanks

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I agree with Carlie, file and let the SSA figure out the rest if you are unsure. Or contact a SS disability lawyer.

I will send in the SSD form. Thanks carlie and poolguy

Edited by navydoc2

• HadIt.com Elder
I will send in the SSD form. Thanks carlie and poolguy

navydoc2,

You might want to look at the following topic since it offers information about filing SSD. You might see something that could aid you.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28488

My website could also possibly help.

I wish you a good journey.

fanaticbooks

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

SSI is basically welfare for the disabled. You have to be really poor to get it.

Yeah I don't think that I qualify, since I start getting TDIU starting 1 Oct. thanks books I will check that out.

• HadIt.com Elder
Yeah I don't think that I qualify, since I start getting TDIU starting 1 Oct. thanks books I will check that out.

navydoc2,

TDIU does not factor into SSD. My hubby gets TDIU as well as SSD.

TDIU is compensation via the VA, which is non-taxable by the way.

Since TDIU is compensation, it does not impact the SS side as income to be considered.

Others more knowledgeable could answer better, but just wanted to let you know that.

SSD is also disability which is a different criteria from SSI. What you are basically requesting from SS is that they provide you with your earned income from SS earlier than retirement age. If you are deemed disabled, then what you would have gotten at the legal retirement age will be provided under SSD's title until you reach retirement age. Then the bookkeeping is transferred to SS but the amount stays the same (just SS's accounting switches, not yours). (just a note: SS income, whatever form is subject to tax under specific to SS requirements)

Talk to your local SS office. They will be able to explain in better detail than I ever could.

I wish you success.

fanaticbooks

Edited by fanaticbooks

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

navydoc2,

TDIU does not factor into SSD. My hubby gets TDIU as well as SSD.

TDIU is compensation via the VA, which is non-taxable by the way.

Since TDIU is compensation, it does not impact the SS side as income to be considered.

Others more knowledgeable could answer better, but just wanted to let you know that.

SSD is also disability which is a different criteria from SSI. What you are basically requesting from SS is that they provide you with your earned income from SS earlier than retirement age. If you are deemed disabled, then what you would have gotten at the legal retirement age will be provided under SSD's title until you reach retirement age. Then the bookkeeping is transferred to SSI but the amount stays the same (just SS's accounting switches, not yours). (just a note: SS income, whatever form is subject to tax under specific to SS requirements)

Talk to your local SS office. They will be able to explain in better detail than I ever could.

I will hand carry my paperwork to the office tomorrow, I as carlie and john said don't qualify for SSI but I think I'm a good candidate for SSD. thanks again books

I wish you success.

fanaticbooks