• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Caught Stealing From Homeless Vets

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Here it is:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfoct09/nf101909-1.htm

Let's keep it in perspective:

On one hand the VA management "looks the other way" when VA employees steal blankets from homeless Veterans. On the other hand the VA management tells congress that if they only had more money, they could help homeless Veterans by instigating new homeless programs and services because the VA "cares about its Veterans".

Do the VA promises to help reduce the backlog and reduce Veteran homelessness seem hypocritical to you too?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I personally do not believe the veteran's homeless population

is as extensive as made out to be.

Veteran's do have several more ways to beat homelessness than

a civilian does.

If you notice many of the people on corner's with the will work

for food signs, also state homeless veteran and I'd bet a month's compensation,

the majority of them are not veterans.

I see most veteran's, even with our disabilities as strong

resourceful, survivor's.

I've been there, mowed yards, scrapped metal, washed greasy dishes.

As far as VA employees taking items from the stand down ---

well of course that isn't right.

I think that with any proof,they should be fired without benefits,

to include any type of severance/unemployment and their names

should go on the front page of their neighborhood newspaper.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie, Nearly every day I search online on google for AP Top Stories and this takes me to a link for Associated Press on Yahoo. When I click on the Business link on the top of Associated Press below that, there appears a subcategory heading of U.S. Economy. Economic news there is grim lately. Associated Press reported there recently that there are 10.5 million Americans out of work now. I'm certain that you recall that our government does not count people who are no longer looking for work or people who are working parttime as part of the unemployment numbers. Consequently, how can any of us believe that there are not a lot of homeless veterans out there? Our nation is having serious problems with unemployed Americans right now and there are millions of people losing their homes because of loss of jobs and mortgages that are resetting to unaffordable levels. I do agree with you though that veterans are a resourceful group.

Edited by deltaj

• HadIt.com Elder

LET'S END VETERAN HOMELESSNESS

VA invites community providers to a national summit November 3-5 to promote research findings, innovative thinking, and partnerships to achieve the goal of ending veteran homelessness in five years

"We are going to take (the) 131,000 homeless Veterans off the streets over the next five years . . . To do this well, we will have to attack the entire downward spiral that ends in homelessness—we must offer education, jobs, treat depression, fight substance abuse, and offer safe housing. We have to do it all—no missed opportunities in going from 131,000 to zero and keeping it there . . .

VA Secretary Shinseki remarks to VFW

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is inviting multidisciplinary teams, individuals, and federal, state and community agencies responsible for the organization, management and treatment continuum for homeless veterans and their families to attend and participate in the Homeless Veterans Summit: Ending Homelessness among Veterans in Five Years being held November 3-5 in Washington, DC at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel.

The Conference will focus on research studies, emerging best practices, or clinical demonstrations that are producing results, particularly in the areas of Homeless Prevention, Incarceration Diversion/Community Reentry, Outreach to Special Populations, HUD-VASH, Grant and Per Diem, Homelessness and Residential Treatment, Transitional Housing, Vocational Rehabilitation, Homelessness and Substance Abuse, Homelessness and Women, OEF/OIF Veterans and Homelessness, Homelessness and Serious Mental Illness, Homelessness and Medical Issues, Promoting Continuity Among the Homeless Continuum of Care, Rural Homelessness, Community Collaboration, and Homelessness and Families.

Conference Registration deadline is October 16. Hotel registration deadline is October 9.

Registration Form http://www.usich.gov/slocal/VA_HomelessSummitReg_nov3_09.pdf

United States Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH)

http://www.ich.gov/

10/20/2009

VA says 1-in-4 homeless people in the United States is a veteran

http://www.whig.com/Homeless-vets-THUR

1/23/2009

Edited by allan

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA would handle claims more efficiently many of the homeless Veterans would be better off and could choose places to live and pay with their earned benefits.

With all the studies the VA does one would wonder if there is a relationship between homelessness and a VA that is way to slow and hard to get help for Veterans with their claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

I bet there is a relationship between homelessness and the VA claims process. If it takes you two years to get IU what happens to the Vet in the meantime? If they can't pay the rent and don't have someone to take them in they become homeless. Being homeless makes it harder to win a VA claim. People who are not disabled are becoming homeless by the thousands because they lose their jobs.

John and Pete:

Of course you guys are right! Think about it: Who is more likely to be homeless:

a. A 100% disabled Veteran earning a steady $2600 per month. Or

b. A disabled Veteran, who has applied for VA benefits but is waiting on an answer and is one of the 1,000,000 backlogged claims who earns 0$ per month.

Is this hard for the VA to figure out?

Just being homeless itself doesn't mean a vet is unemployable. Some choose to be homeless and some are homeless for non-service connected conditions.

dh

Pete

I bet there is a relationship between homelessness and the VA claims process. If it takes you two years to get IU what happens to the Vet in the meantime? If they can't pay the rent and don't have someone to take them in they become homeless. Being homeless makes it harder to win a VA claim. People who are not disabled are becoming homeless by the thousands because they lose their jobs.