• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Gets Cola, Vets Get Nothing

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Here it is:

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...s?ESRC=navy-a.n

The military says that military deserves a pay raise, and I agree, but says on the other hand, Veterans get zero.

The VA squandering of our money is bad enough, an increase was given to the VA by congress sufficient for a pay raise, but VA executives decided to keep this money for themselves and award each other bonuses instead.

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

For a little perspective.

I looked up the VA comp rate back to 1977(as far back as I could find)

While it is not the 50 years back that was mentioned "20 cents for lunch" it should give some an idea of how inflation and COLA work.

In 1977 the VA comp rate for a 100% Vet only was $707.

$707 is nothing in todays economy because of inflation. However, COLA has increased that $707 so that our current rate allows us to live in the same reasonable comfort as $707 did in 1977. How much did lunch cost in 1977? I don't know. In 1983 it cost 90 cents. I used to get a dollar for school lunch and have a dime left to get into the dance in the gym.

Since there has been no changes to VA comp rates except for COLA increases since 1977, I'm going to stretch my neck out and assume COLA must be keeping up with inflation the way it is set up. No changes neccisary.

Here is a link to the scale, it's quite large so allow plenty of download time.

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/...pb/sectVIII.doc

While it is not the 50 years back that was mentioned "20 cents for lunch" it should give some an idea of how inflation and COLA work.

In 1977 the VA comp rate for a 100% Vet only was $707.

$707 is nothing in todays economy because of inflation. However, COLA has increased that $707 so that our current rate allows us to live in the same reasonable comfort as $707 did in 1977. How much did lunch cost in 1977? I don't know. In 1983 it cost 90 cents. I used to get a dollar for school lunch and have a dime left to get into the dance in the gym.

Since there has been no changes to VA comp rates except for COLA increases since 1977, I'm going to stretch my neck out and assume COLA must be keeping up with inflation the way it is set up. No changes neccisary.

Here is a link to the scale, it's quite large so allow plenty of download time.

I am really amazed at the very little in COLA to the disabled veterans. I know gas prices our up, food is up, cost of health insurance is up, medication is up, car insurance is up, rent prices our up. Everything goes up and pay stays the same; making a very small pension even smaller.

Masters

I am really amazed at the very little in COLA to the disabled veterans. I know gas prices our up, food is up, cost of health insurance is up, medication is up, car insurance is up, rent prices our up. Everything goes up and pay stays the same; making a very small pension even smaller.

Masters

You may need to shop around. I'm paying half of what i paid last year for fuel(I drive a diesel), filling my propane tank for heat was $300 less this year. Many food prices have gone down. Rent is dropping around here. I don't think medical is considered for COLA as it applies to people eligible for government health care like VA and medicare.(My health care costs have gone waayyyyyyy down.)

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the flashback, timetowinarace, .. Very nostalgic. You could get a hamburger for 29 cents, and everyone was disco dancing. Loved that 8 track.

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

This topic has given me an opportunity to use my math skills.

The Comp for a 100 percenter with no dependants in 77 was a whopping 707 dollars. Today it is 2673.

That is an increase of 378 percent,

In 1977 the cost of a Cadillac fleetwood was 11,546 according to NADA.com.

The New full size luxury Cadillac has a sticker of 62000.00.

That is an increase of 536 percent.

It works out for the same on most vehicles. Puckup trucks are the best benchmarks as cars have changed so much since 1977.

lets multiply 707 X 536 percent and we get: 3789.52. That is where it should be.

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Since we are going back in time... How about the 1960's......

http://objflicks.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"