Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Triggers...do You Know What They Are?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Triggers...wow what a common subject brought about to us, especially those with PTSD(other mental/behavioral conditions).

So you are diagnosed with PTSD. You put in your va claim because you can't take it anymore...you wait...maybe get a c&p with-in a year, if lucky.

Then wait ...tension builds, you become more irritable, this does not just effect your mental status, but all of your body systems. You go through all the gambits, depression, maybe addictions, laugh/mostly cry, yell, fight, avoidance, introvert, or extrovert s/s, secrets abound you, paranoia sets in...you wait... scream, isolate yourself, demand to others"I am not crazy!"...you don't sleep, or you lock yourself in a room and try to use sleep as your coping mechanism...waiting for a reply, you check the mail, call the va#'s but it just increases the anxiety. Still waiting on your claim..grant/deny/low ball/appeal/bva/etc.

There are so many symptoms we all go through but how we can try to cope with these is something we all have to hopefully find to HELP us along the way. To have some type of sanity in our disturbed life. Finding some solace.

I think here at hadit I personally can find some peace, even if a brief moment..I find "friends" who don't really know me but care about me...care to listen/read and mostly offer encouragement, in a very private place where I can be me, no judgements/no phoney bologna just me. They can be frank and direct and still show kindness and compassion.

I had some issues at the VA yesterday, and as it progressed my B/P and Pulse rose...thump thump thump my head was pounding and I could feel my pulse abounding in every nerve/muscle of my body...I requested the policy and procedures they were trying to use with me...after 30 minutes they gave me a copy"I was right there was nothing in them that validated what they were doing/why they were doing it...I won, but I lost as they say"We have the right to change blah blah blah...But I made it known to put in addendum of exception rule? Who know...

My point I contacted Pete53 prior...can I change it/probably not...is it worth it to let them with "their triggers"(or as I chose my triggers at that moment) make me physically and mentally and emotionally sick? No...I stepped away cried, got more pissed off, then took his advice, don't let them make you sick! Yes I know easier said then done, but the more anxious I got the more it dawned to me..."Let it be and Think of me!' Went to a 3 hour pain group after this...did a relaxation exercise and told EVERYONE ABOUT HADIT!

I think I get caught up in the system and let the "triggers" run me instead of stepping back and "letting it be and thinking of me." That I will try to use as my new motto, at least sometimes/maybe/hopefully. What can I change/not/accept and LIVE.

Today I will try to avoid some triggers, if not I will try to choose to accept what I can and breathe...breathe...deeply breathe...BTW I have known the techniques for years but application has not been practiced.

Thanks to so many friends here at hadit letting a hard headed right person vent!! :D

Edited by halos2

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

This is why I believe that PTSD should be presumptive for any soldier that has a plausible claim, or has been to a combat zone. Having to wait years for service connection adds to the stress levels of the vet. It is destructive and I believe it is used to weed out all but the most persistent. How many vets crack up completely while waiting for compensation? Either make SC claims presumptive or decide them in three months and make appeals automatic and put another 3 month time limit on the appeals. The VA should have to show why they won't service connect vets instead of the burden of proof being on the vet to show service connection. The fact of the matter is that since the VA can't possibly decide claims in three months they should just rate all claims as granted unless otherwise disproved. The way the system works now is that is just based on the idea that if given a chance every vet will lie to get compensation. They are heros when fighting for the USA, and lying dogs when they get home.

john999 you so hit the nail on the head...so many of us waited for years, and struggled all these years,before finally submitting a claim as we could no longer tolerate it, and a lay person could read the evidence in our smr's and files yet the va look for bonuses to deny. This idea has been kicked around for mths and yet no one has the moxie to stand up and put it into action.

Peace be with you.

This is why I believe that PTSD should be presumptive for any soldier that has a plausible claim, or has been to a combat zone. Having to wait years for service connection adds to the stress levels of the vet. It is destructive and I believe it is used to weed out all but the most persistent. How many vets crack up completely while waiting for compensation? Either make SC claims presumptive or decide them in three months and make appeals automatic and put another 3 month time limit on the appeals. The VA should have to show why they won't service connect vets instead of the burden of proof being on the vet to show service connection. The fact of the matter is that since the VA can't possibly decide claims in three months they should just rate all claims as granted unless otherwise disproved. The way the system works now is that is just based on the idea that if given a chance every vet will lie to get compensation. They are heros when fighting for the USA, and lying dogs when they get home.
Edited by halos2

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Just know that you are, in fact, going to be "triggered" into feelings that were long buried or denied. When you file a VA Claim, you open yourself up; you become vulnerable: now exposed is the current pain of your injury or disease; exposed is your inability to maintain life as you once knew; you open yourself up to your own fear of misunderstandings and rejection; add the humiliation of needing to ask for help from often-times less than caring individuals ... I put in in God's hands, and ask him for the strength to do everything in my power to help myself. That means, I need to ask the VA if there is anything I can do to prove my claim. What I have learned with the VA, is that you need to ASK for anything and everything that you feel you need and are therefore entitled to (by law); the VA will seldom if ever take it upon themselves to do anything for you, on your behalf. God give us the daily strength to help eachother and help ourselves. Thanks for sharing from the heart Halos. ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, the military just tries to get you out the door as cheaply as possible, and the VA uses the slanted evidence from the military to deny your claim. Looking at my C-File and my SMR's and personnel file from the military I know they were doing their best to avoid any liability or responsibility. When you are really down they were the first ones to kick you. I remember that feeling. I filed an appeal to have my discharge changed to a medical and was denied. They threw all the old themes in my face that I was just a trouble maker, misfit and oddball. When you file claims it will stir up memories. That is part of the game to discourage you.

I concur will the above post.

You feel your a tight rope, with no end. Yhe most unusual stress that I have ever expereienced

100% PTSD

20% right ankle

20% left ankle

10% Right Knee

20% Right Shoulder

10% Tinnitus

• HadIt.com Elder
x

x

x

Just know that you are, in fact, going to be "triggered" into feelings that were long buried or denied. When you file a VA Claim, you open yourself up; you become vulnerable: now exposed is the current pain of your injury or disease; exposed is your inability to maintain life as you once knew; you open yourself up to your own fear of misunderstandings and rejection; add the humiliation of needing to ask for help from often-times less than caring individuals ... I put in in God's hands, and ask him for the strength to do everything in my power to help myself. That means, I need to ask the VA if there is anything I can do to prove my claim. What I have learned with the VA, is that you need to ASK for anything and everything that you feel you need and are therefore entitled to (by law); the VA will seldom if ever take it upon themselves to do anything for you, on your behalf. God give us the daily strength to help eachother and help ourselves. Thanks for sharing from the heart Halos. ~Wings

So true, so true, Wings....

I find it notable that in the midsts of halos2's VA troubles, halos2 reaches out to Red, giving up her topic space on the forum.

Going ten feet from the VA gives me a trigger. What has helped me the most is recognizing the trigger, labeling it as a trigger, and letting it go.. sometimes it works. As I get older, it works better. Like water off a duck's back. peace

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"